Currently reading:
immersion heater not working

Discuss immersion heater not working in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Thank you for joining me

I really hope someone can help me here

I am having a problem with this immersion heater on the picture, I can't turn it on.

I had an electrician coming about 1 month ago, he did set it to turn on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening but I still get no hot water coming out from the tap. I have never had an immersion heater before.
My questions are:
Does it make any noise when the heater is working?

can anyone help me to see if my heater is working correctly

Thank you in advance for your support

Attachments

• Immersion Heater.jpg
    Immersion Heater.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 29
Hum, not easy for anyone really to tell unless you have some test kit.

need to confirm power is getting to the immersion and to test the end to end resistance of the heater. It should be around 19 ohms

possible issues

burnt out switch
failed timer
failed immersion
failed thermostat
check it isn’t just needing the reset button pushed

Hum, not easy for anyone really to tell unless you have some test kit.

need to confirm power is getting to the immersion and to test the end to end resistance of the heater. It should be around 19 ohms

possible issues

burnt out switch
failed timer
failed immersion
failed thermostat
check it isn’t just needing the reset button pushed
my question is: does it make any noise when is working? I have never any noise at all and I have been in this flat for over 1 month now

my question is: does it make any noise when is working? I have never any noise at all and I have been in this flat for over 1 month now

not immediately , but yes you should be able to hear something

but you’ve said you have no hot water so that does suggest something is wrong

less then 1 month ago my landlord came with an electrician, the electrician said that it was working only a 2 hours in the morning, according to the thermostat, and then he did set it to work 2 more hours in the afternoon, but I have never had any hot water at all coming out of the tap

less then 1 month ago my landlord came with an electrician, the electrician said that it was working only a 2 hours in the morning, according to the thermostat, and then he did set it to work 2 more hours in the afternoon, but I have never had any hot water at all coming out of the tap

that’s not good.

surely the timer has an over ride

most timers have a facility for an additional hour or to put it in manual mode

could you post another photo of the timer ?
this is the full times it looks like it should go on at 5am off at 7am then on again at 6pm and off at 9pm

Attachments

• on 18.jpg
    on 18.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 17
  • off 21.jpg
    off 21.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0n 5am.jpg
    0n 5am.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0ff 7am.jpg
    0ff 7am.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 16
Press the hand button should come on manual check in 2 hours should have hot water

Need a multi meter for a second opinion

To answer the noise question, generally an immersion heater that is on will start to make a kind of quiet straining noise, much like a kettle on a gas flame just before it starts boiling.

Your landlord has left you without hot water or you have other means for heating water as an alternative to the immersion? Seems to me if not he/she should call out an emergency plumber or electrician, even if it means using a big firm, unless he can show you that what you have is functional?

Are you a private or council tenant?

Your landlord is legally obliged to provide you with heating and hot water at all times. Get onto him asap otherwise tell them (in writing) that you'll call out an emergency electrician and bill him.

"Unless you have caused damage through maltreatment then it is the legal obligation of the landlord to ensure the property has heating and hot water at all times. The lack of these utilities is considered a hazard, especially in the cold seasons and if no alternative source is provided by the landlord."

Otherwise, they are breaching the tenancy agreement on two fronts – keeping the property in repair AND free from hazards.

My mother gave her tenants a week off the rent when the boiler stopped working for four days. This was suggested by the letting agent despite the fact that the tenants said they had their own electric radiators out of heating season and there was an immersion heater backup to the boiler. Personally I think it was over-generous in the circumstances as they were not left in the cold, but in your circumstances, I think it is the least your landlord could do.

ok Thank you
A plumber is the better option as you have already discovered, Electricians don't like water so won't change an imersion, the electrics is the easy side.
The way I tell if an immersion heater is working is by looking at the electric meter, turn it on and most meters have either a spinning disc or flashing light which will either spin faster or flash faster. It could be something simple like a faulty thermostat

A plumber is the better option as you have already discovered, Electricians don't like water so won't change an imersion, the electrics is the easy side.
The way I tell if an immersion heater is working is by looking at the electric meter, turn it on and most meters have either a spinning disc or flashing light which will either spin faster or flash faster. It could be something simple like a faulty thermostat

that’s a bit of a bodge if you ask me. cheap burnt out fused spurs or isolation switches are very common

Reply to immersion heater not working in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock