Currently reading:
heat mats

Discuss heat mats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mat is about the best one out there but the heat guards are pysh.
Even tho you have a mat still try to keep the direct heat off it and it will last longer. And keep off the mapp. It is too hot and un necessary.

I've got a monument one. Not the one that fits round a pipe. I can't see them lasting long as your torch will constantly be burning the edges which kills them.

I've got a cheap floorboard saw which is a fantastic heat mat for under floors. (I keep my irwin tenon saw away from abuse).

Heard the guys here saying to keep old baking trays also. Cut them into different shapes

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking at getting a new heat mat as the one iv got now has given up the will to live got it from wickes what do you expect.

any recommendations guys

are the monument OMAT any good?? i think a head guard will help too
Monument 2355M OMAT ? Soldering Mat 15-22mm | eBay

Rothenberger Gas Torch Heat Guard Superfire 2 Quick Jet | eBay

First time I've seen that heat guard. That's just gonna get in the way. Also hook into the pipe if you slip or something and not gonna end in a good situation

The heat guard works ok when used with a mat but it is when you try to remove it when you are done that creates the problem. You will sometimes move something (once is enough) and get a leak.
Good idea in principle but shyte in practice.
Just use your mat as if it were made of paper. Try not to burn it and it will last a year or 2. Direct heat and it will be binned in a month or so.

been their honestly you dont need heat mat if you have thottle control a tad patience takes longer and keen eye thats all

Go near that shyt with a candle and it melts. I use a mat where it is sensible as claims are us are always on the look out for any excuse for a Benidorm holiday at my expense

woodchip burns really well, surprisingly, seeing as its such a pig to get off when you try stripping the wall!!!!!!!!

Iv never used a heat matt you dnt need to just angle the gun or use heat transfer down the pipe or I damp the other surface

Use a mat when soldering around expanding foam. Nearly had a wee signal fire in a bathroom the other day!!

I use a heat mat & I also have a small piece of sheet metal which slides in tight spaces behind pipes...gets hot but saves scorch marks

Yes I've just this very night cut a section of cement board to act as a heat shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to heat mats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock