Currently reading:
HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s

Discuss HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry98

I know we all come across them but thought we could stick them all in one thread for everyone to see.

my first of many , was in a church hall and this was someones idea of capping the gas off.

Attachments

• 000_0279.jpg
    000_0279.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,355
  • 000_0281.jpg
    000_0281.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,245
You should of started a new thread for that

Love the DIY skills on show

Lock shield cap covering dov

Went to carry out a service today. The people had only just moved in. The boiler was a 60,000 BTU/hr open flued Potterton Kingfisher II boiler. The original compartment vents had been plastered over and this imaginitive solution applied instead. I issued a warning notice and capped off the gas supply to the boiler with the customers permission. I have also Riddored it as the paperwork is loooking very dodgy.

This is the view that I got when I opened the cupboard

CQ9R0225 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The instructions showed the boiler needing 212 sq cm low and 106 high from outside. 110mm soil gives around 80 so looking bad to start with, too low even for the high level vent.

Looking up inside the cupboard revealed.

CQ9R0229 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

So at least it's got high and low level but woefully inadequate.

I then noticed a wire coming from the longer section.

CQ9R0228 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Closer inspection revealed this to be an inline duct fan which clicked on when the burner ignited. Somehow the fan has been connected so that when the boiler stat calls for heat it turns on. It was obvious that there was no proving switch because the burner lit and I then heard the fan spin up to speed. I didn't manage to work out what the bit of pump screwed to the wall was for.

Checking in the roof space revealed the kopex connected to the fan running to a vent slate.

CQ9R0235 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Whilst closer inspection showed the other section connected to some rectangular ducting.

CQ9R0239 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

CQ9R0237 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

CQ9R0240 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Looking outside showed a very restricted inlet for the roof vent.

CQ9R0219 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The other vent was a bit better.

CQ9R0249 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

All in all a very imaginative solution to the problem of the blocked compartment vents but with none of the necessary safeguards.

Good find Mike ... what's going on with the pump too....??? I hope the guy who rigged this up gets his butt kicked that's shocking!

that to me is someone with a bit more then a DIYER experience thats someone who has a idea of gas and thought this would be adequate imho

Good find Mike ... what's going on with the pump too....??? I hope the guy who rigged this up gets his butt kicked that's shocking!

I think it may be being used as a speed controller for the fan. If I get the replacement job I'll suss out how it's all been done.

I agree with Bod. That is not a DIY job. It has been done by someone with commercial experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HALL of SHAME PHOTo`s in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock