Currently reading:
being self employed is much harder than I thought it would be!

Discuss being self employed is much harder than I thought it would be! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

young.fitter

Hi everyone. Cant beleive I didnt know about this site, its a great idea.
well, my names phil, n I am based in bolton, Lancashire. Does anyone know, If theres any companies taking on in this area? either subcontracting, or cards in? I have been self employed for 18 months now, and the past 3 months have been shocking! I have a new found respect for anyone who has made a success of going it alone! :)

welcome to the forums phil,everyones finding it hard at the moment,self employments very hard at the best of times,spent most of the evening on paper work,but its the way it is

Hi Phil, this market is prety tied down really. I personally believe it has a lot to do with the media! Folk get the bloke/company they trust and won't deviate! Hard to increate the customer base except through word of mouth I've found! Keep at it though, if its meant to be you'll make it!

hi mate, thanks for the welcome. yeah I no pal, I think thats whats worse about it, that everyones struggling. Have you been self employed long? I was doing day heatings before, thats why I thought Id try it on mi own, wish I hadnt bothered now!

Thanks steve, (diamondgas) lets hope it gets better for everyone. at the very least, it can only get better! might just move to australia.. lol

Hi Phil, don't get fed up just yet, been at it since mid 60's and s/e 15 yrs now, my motto's always been do the job as if it's for yourself that way the end result should be bloody good and people will notice and pass your name on, good luck.

Well there's plenty work out there in Aus, NZ and Japan at the moment so I've heard because of the disasters that have occured! Maybe BG could errupt and spew out it's 3 million customers our way eh? lol

Thanks alot mate (gas greyser). Thats all we can do for now I suppose. how was it for you before the credit crunch? I defo started up at the wrong time, but you live and learn..

lol... That wud be nice steve. well its not all bad, I have a tap to fit tmoz! haha

Ive only had two jobs all week if it makes you feel any better :) I'm gonna buy a flat bed and drive around all day collecting scrap, no worries and the money is probably better :)

Ive only had two jobs all week if it makes you feel any better :) I'm gonna buy a flat bed and drive around all day collecting scrap, no worries and the money is probably better :)
if it makes you feel better...me too. and ones on sunday,grrrr

Hi everyone. Cant beleive I didnt know about this site, its a great idea.
well, my names phil, n I am based in bolton, Lancashire. Does anyone know, If theres any companies taking on in this area? either subcontracting, or cards in? I have been self employed for 18 months now, and the past 3 months have been shocking! I have a new found respect for anyone who has made a success of going it alone! :)

i like your honesty mate, many here think its easy i wish theyd read posts like yours, welcome

Welcome mate, keep at the self employment you'll get there in the end. Everything is slow at the moment. If I just relied on my own private work I'd be skint so I contract during the week and do my own bits a bobs on the weekend. I find it works well, slowly building up my private work. I Get more work from word of mouth than anything else, so just do a good job in every home and you'll be sweet.

Went self employed 8 weeks ago. Lucky if i had one job a week early on. Then you get that phone call. Which leads to another. Then i managed to do a job for letting agent which hopefully leads to more. 3 job in 2 days. Starts slowly but if you plug away it will come. Word of mouth is the key though. Best of luck

started December last year ...had busy times had quiet times :)

welcome to the forum you will love it

thank you all for the warm welcome, very much appreciate it.. to be honest, wouldnt mind doing 3 days a week sub contract work to a company, at least theres money coming in then. guna look into it this week I think, probably a long shot tho..

welcome young fitter, i'm also in bolton.
are you gas safe? i may be able to pass on the odd job for you. pm me your details

Best of luck mate, Hopefully it works out, stick with it and you'll never go back to work for anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to being self employed is much harder than I thought it would be! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock