Currently reading:
Water Hammer - regularly, day-and-night

Discuss Water Hammer - regularly, day-and-night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spoar

Hi, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with a water hammer problem.

Basically, whenever any of the taps (hot or cold - kitchen, bathroom, outside, etc) are closed quickly, the pipes knock heavily somewhere in the system. The faster they are closed, the heavier they knock.
I suspect they are poorly clipped somewhere along their run. Where they are accessible, I've experimented by holding them; clipping them; wedging things behind them etc. and the best I can do is dampen the knock a little or make it shift to another section of the pipe run.

Anyway, although it's a bit annoying, I can live with it.

There is another aspect to it though, which is driving me insane! All day and night, the knock occurs roughly every 15-30 seconds even when nothing is in use - i.e. taps, toilet, washing machine, central heating, dishwasher etc. are all inactive.
The knock is less severe than when a tap is shut off rapidly but it is still loud enough to stop me getting to sleep.

I can't fathom what is causing it and why it occurs 24hrs a day at regular intervals. I've wondered whether it is a slow-dripping leak somewhere in the system but if it is, I can't find it. Or maybe it's a PRV in an appliance (the combi boiler perhaps) which is doing its job every few seconds for some reason.

Does anyone have an ideas what might be the root cause?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Check your toilets. If there is a tickle of water running down back of pan then the fill valve could be topping up the cistern. If you use a torch to shine light on back of inside of pan and dry the pan with toilet paper, you might see water trickling down. Very common on these push button cisterns.

As to your pipes knocking, - it is a problem often hard to solve.
Obviously all pipes need clipped ideally. The stopcock is best to be full open and sometimes the washer inside it, or the jumper part can be faulty causing noise.
If the pressure is very high on your mains then a pressure reducing valve could be fitted.
Shock absorbers can be fitted if you had a particular valve that was causing thumping noise.
The gas boiler PRV should be checked to see if it is passing water also. (Sometimes the boiler filling loop can be letting water through & over pressurising the boiler)

The pressure is very high and the stopcock is open by only about 1/8th of a turn. Any more and the flow from the taps is ridiculously fierce. A pressure reducing valve sounds like it might be a good idea.
If the toilet looks OK. I'll get someone in to check the boiler PRV. Cheers.

The pressure is very high and the stopcock is open by only about 1/8th of a turn. Any more and the flow from the taps is ridiculously fierce. A pressure reducing valve sounds like it might be a good idea.
If the toilet looks OK. I'll get someone in to check the boiler PRV. Cheers.

The stopcock turned only slightly open can very likely cause a hammering noise. Better it is full open and a pressure reducing valve fitted after it and normally set to 3bar max.
Ideally you are better with any taps having airators in their spout to make the flow resticted and well controlled.

Thanks Guys. The case is building strongly for a pressure reducing valve. I'll get a quote and post an update in due course. Cheers again.

Thanks Guys. The case is building strongly for a pressure reducing valve. I'll get a quote and post an update in due course. Cheers again.

a very good one else you might limit the flow

i would recommend a Caleffi 5350

or if you cant find them have a look at

Altecnic Prescal 535

Check your toilets. If there is a tickle of water running down back of pan then the fill valve could be topping up the cistern. If you use a torch to shine light on back of inside of pan and dry the pan with toilet paper, you might see water trickling down. Very common on these push button cisterns.

Checked toilet and it seems fine. On to the boiler PRV next....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Hammer - regularly, day-and-night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock