Currently reading:
URGENT Tundish - shorter than the required 300mm???

Discuss Tundish - shorter than the required 300mm??? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Recently had a new heating system and unvented hot-water cylinder installed (conversion from vented with tank). Everything is working fine despite the installation being rushed at times.
The 'main' guy (not the installer) from the company I used (with very good ratings) - can work with unvented hot water cylinders, however the installer doesn't have the same thing listed on the Gas Safe register. I think originally, the main guy was meant to do the installation, but due to staff issues - he had to rely on other subcontracted staff.
Also, watching some youtube videos and going through the installation manual - I can immediately see that the turndish is less than 300mm before the elbow, so incorrectly installed. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence sadly in other parts of the works.
So, my question - what's the best plan of action, given the above? Payment is pending? What about the other stuff - how can I have confidence in that too? I'm thinking of sending him the pic of the installation with the details of the installation manual - just to confront him head-on.
Also, both these new products need to be registered by the installers? Is that correct too?

Is there anything else?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Open the safety valves fully and if the installation copes with the discharge then there is no issue.
The 300mm is only to help achieve this aim - if it works with a shorter pipe then that is absolutely fine in my opinion.

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the slavish adoption of the fools 💣

Open the safety valves fully and if the installation copes with the discharge then there is no issue.
The 300mm is only to help achieve this aim - if it works with a shorter pipe then that is absolutely fine in my opinion.

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the slavish adoption of the fools 💣
I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, a test under normal temperature and pressure conditions is not sufficient to prove that the system will be safe under fault conditions when the pressure / temperature can be much higher.

I had a similar problem as the OP, brought about when a new horizontal cylinder was installed. The cylinder manufacturer was subsequently reluctant to undertake a warranty repair on a leaking immersion boss as they claimed the installation was not compliant with their installation instructions, and later a different service engineer threw a wobbly at the 'under 30cm' feature.
I suggest you get it sorted now otherwise there may be grief later!

Reply to Tundish - shorter than the required 300mm??? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock