Currently reading:
How to convert a 15mm tap tail to a 3/8" fitting

Discuss How to convert a 15mm tap tail to a 3/8" fitting in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Adam Mada

Hi,
I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the manufacturers - the nearest equivalent is apparently this one: GoodHome Lazu 1 lever Mini Contemporary Basin Mono mixer Tap | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhome-lazu-1-lever-mini-contemporary-basin-mono-mixer-tap/5059340214207_BQ.prd

The problem is that the cold water tap needs to be fitted into a pipe that is apparently 3/8" wide, whereas the tap tail it comes with is expecting a 15mm pipe, according to a plumber that came to see the issue but didn't have the necessary part.

I can find plenty of converters that convert a 3/8" tap into a 15mm pipe (seems to be how you fit European taps to UK pipes?). But I think I need the opposite, to fit a 15mm tap into a 3/8" pipe (actually the output of an isolation valve).

I can't find one anywhere I've looked, and the staff at the couple of shops I've asked don't know where to get one either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about getting new tap tails that end in a 3/8 fitting. But the tap is a mini one and the end of the tail that needs to go into the tap seems to be non-standard - smaller than a M12 fitting anyway, perhaps it's M8 if I was to guess ? But I can't find one of those either :)

(Weirdly the hot water input goes into a standard 15mm pipe so that one is fine - but the cold water pipe is smaller - the hot feed was added later as I understand it)

Thanks for any help!

If I've understood correctly, this sort of thing should screw onto the 3/8" isolation valve, and provide a 1/2" bsp thread for the tap?
The 3/8" female threaded section might be too deep for the washer to seal, but ptfe tape could fix that!!
IMG_0167.jpeg
search for:

1/2" BSP Male x 3/8" BSP Female Brass Adapter With Washer​

Last edited:

Reply to How to convert a 15mm tap tail to a 3/8" fitting in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Back