Discuss gas safe inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Has anyone had an inspection recently? Mine is a week tomorrow. Letter said I had to arrange 3 sites for inspector to visit, last time it was one with corgi that consisted of commission and safety inspection of a boiler I installed.
I feel 3 sites is tricky as sometimes my gas work is few and far between. Been making my living for over a month with plumbing only. It's also hard enough to gain access to do the job in first place never mind an inspection.
I did have a neighbour offer his home, maybe that's the way to go!

If you ring them up and explain that you have not done much gas work recently, they will often allow you to do a service on your own home or a neighbours.

Thanks bronzino, might give that a try, have quite a bit of gas work coming up so even if I could postpone it.

Gas inspection's for everyone. Could be every year or once every 5 years. Gas safe may try doing it more often than corgi.

Did my inspection in October last year and I just serviced my next door neighbours Combi. Told the inspector I hadn't used my Gas safe Registration yet as I was awaiting a date to start sub-contracting. He was more than happy to see me do a single service. He said unless there where serious problems on my inpsection then there would be no need to see anymore work.

I had similar thing, I had my own registration 4 months before I actually went self employed because I was still working for a firm at the time. I phone up gas safe and they put it back another 6 months

Hi not been asked for a inspection as yet by gas safe as it is now, think i was last inspected some 3 years ago by corgi, as i re-call just servicing a appliance for them is not sufficent, they like to see any installs you have done, unless things have changed, i remember the days you got inspected on a yearly basis without fail, it was always a nervous time for me, as when i served my time in 1978 it was as a plumber, so gas was not our main criteria, but have done various courses over the years and feel ok about inspections these days.

Most inspectors now carry out their inspections on a 'risk-assessment' basis. i.e. New/just passed ACS (on probation) will get a decent inspection with 2 or 3 jobs to be 'available', he/she may not look at others at all but it gives them flexibility etc if they want a 2nd opinion/additional job etc. These new ones will then be 'more closely followed' than say more experienced gas operatives. Generally the more experienced, or those that have shown a high standard in the past will not constitute a 'higher risk' and so it could be 2, 3 or 4 years before you get another visit. If your'e unlucky to have a new inspector on the your patch then he/she might have a slightly different approach. Beware some will even look at your tools and equipment before to see if you have the correct/neccassary tools.

I couldnt get access on my last inspection was pain in the butt !
Managed after alot of hassle to show inspector one fire , which got asked a million questions about meters , done gas rate , working pressure and operating pressure . He then asked for another visit of two more sites which i stated i cant get access so he said fine happy with your work conduct and knowledge. I dont do l;ots of gas work but either so will struggle again to show him 3 jobs .
A friend of mine tho was pulled up about no sleeving through wall on his inspection he wouldn't say exactly what happened other than was told to correct it.

I think Gas Safe are getting a lot more strict with their inspections.I have had an inspection recently from an inspector iv known over 20 years.Gas rate ,tightness test , working pressure all the norm,But he then went into pipe sizing . inlet pressure, fga . flue distance .pipe depth,open flue ventilation requirements .meter capping and removal when soldering, id ,ar. ncs.requirements.and a few more which i cant remember.

That does sound abit harsh! Iv know guys that have only ever fitted boilers on site in like a hour and have only ever changed a gas valve.
worrying if any of them guys are asked about vents, pipe sizing etc! would have to go on a weeks training just before inspector turned up! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back