Discuss Underground drainage guidance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Chaps

I don't claim to be particularly knowledgable about underground drainage as I've never really had much involvement with it.

one of my neighbours said they thought their drain was blocked so I said I'd take a look.

Now i have im not 100% sure what I'm looking at see pic

image.jpg

All around the pipe in the centre there is about 8 inches of stagnant water.

Should this his be there as there doesn't look anywhere for it to go. If it's blocked I'm happy to pass it to a drainage firm but I just want to advise my neighbour appropriately.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

matt

Last edited:
The only way in and out of the chamber is that pipe. The rest is sealed it would seem

could that be the top of one of those cesspit chamber things sorry we dont get them in london so im not up on the terminology if theres no way in and out it must be for looking in rodding or emptying the latter would be my guess

You might be right mate I'm not 100% sure there'd be a cesspit as its middle of a town. I just found it weird, the water around the pipe just doesn't seem to be able to go anywhere if you look at this second pic it shows what I believe is the normal channel that waste would flow down to the sewer. image.jpg

Any chance that pipe should be capped? Only going by the one in my back garden where a cap screws on and another short piece underneath pulls out.

That could be no more than rain water seeping past the lid?

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree re rain gathering. When it reaches a certain level it'll go down the drain hmmmm strange one

Flush a load of bleach away and watch for bubbles to flow past? Also if the there is a hard surface under the water then it`s most likely rain water.

I'm inclined to agree re rain gathering. When it reaches a certain level it'll go down the drain hmmmm strange one

But it wont all go as the pipe is higher than the surface around it so some water will always be below the top of the pipe until it soaks away.

Defos hard surface. Gave it a good poking with my crowbar. I was just curious if the water should be sitting there and stagnating. That's sll

Is it some sort of silt trap?
Surface water enters chamber and any silt/sediment falls to bottom rather than into drainage system, then fluid enters drain when level of outlet pipe is reached?
Have seen similar, but not exactly like your neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underground drainage guidance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back