Currently reading:
gas main.

Discuss gas main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys,
another question for ya. My pal has just brought a house which has no gas supply to it. The previous owner had storage heaters to heat the house and must've had the meter removed.
My pal now wants central heating put in the house and was supposed to be havin a meter put in today but the meter guy turned up and said the old service pipe was no good and will have to have a new one put in.
They have also turned round and said they will have to pay to have the service pipe renewed.....is this right??, i thought that it was the service providers responsibilty upto the meter.
they have also said it could be upto 8 weeks before they do it!!
any thoughts??

I know on a new build the customer has to pay from the road to the meter but any time ive come across a gas leak and its in the customers garden it always gets fixed free of charge (including replacing the lot).

i can never see why the customer has to pay for something that remains the property of the company supplying it how much gas could they sell without the supply pipes and after youve paid for it you have to rent it from them (standing charge)

if there is no meter on site and the service pipe is rededundant then the company is within its rights to charge for a new service pipe etc. If there had been a meter on site then the supplier would have had to repair the supply, but there isnt so new supply needed.
If transco want loads of money for a new supply, look at the other private firms touting for business to instal new services. They van work out a lot cheaper than transco etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
if there is no meter on site and the service pipe is dedundant then the company is within its rights to charge for a new service pipe etc. If there had been a meter on site then the supplier would have had to repair the supply, but there isnt so new supply needed.
If transco want loads of money for a new supply, look at the other private firms touting for business to instal new services. They van work out a lot cheaper than transco etc.

nice one op....would you be able to recommend a firm for my mate to contact???

I found one on the net 4 years back when I was renovating some flats. I did not use them in the end as i went back to transco with their quote and transco matched the cost! Sorry but i cleared my desk out a few months back , good hunting.

I found one on the net 4 years back when I was renovating some flats. I did not use them in the end as i went back to transco with their quote and transco matched the cost! Sorry but i cleared my desk out a few months back , good hunting.

thanks anyway op....my mate had a quote off national grid,they wanted £680 to do the work but my mate said he'd dig the trench out for them and they have reduced the price to £280!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock