Discuss fibre versus rubber washer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexp78

I only had some 3/4 inch rubber washers to replace the indented fibre washers in leaking basin tap flexi connectors. Is there a problem with this or should fibre washers be used?

Most flexi hoses now seem to use rubber washers. Personally I prefer rubber because I think they give a better seal provided you do crush them to death with excessive tightening. Fibre washers can sometimes leak slightly when new but eventually form a seal as they swell when wet.

i have recently had a few problems with fibre washers ie not the exact correct size :( I generally put them in my mouth prior to fitting dont know if that has got anything to do with it.

i have recently had a few problems with fibre washers ie not the exact correct size :( I generally put them in my mouth prior to fitting dont know if that has got anything to do with it.

I'm not sure about putting them in your mouth :eek: but I do pre-soak them before fitting as them tend to stay put and seal up faster.

i think we need a wip round to get winston some sarnis!

Ive had no problems with fibre washers. main thing is not using ptfe etc or anything that prevents screwing tight onto the washer.

Times must be hard if you're eating your washers(or is it the missus,can't cook won't cook).
Do you have 1/2" for elevenses and 3/4" for lunch
LOL

Times must be hard if you're eating your washers(or is it the missus,can't cook won't cook).
Do you have 1/2" for elevenses and 3/4" for lunch
LOL
Im worried about the trail of leaking loos behind him all missing their doughnuts lol

LOL the wifes a good cook, what I meant was I put them in my mouth prior to putting them in place to make them swell up. LOL ;)

Well there's no leak. One on hot tap the other on mains pressure cold. I put two in each side as they were thinner than the fibre ones coming out.

So no-one reckons that rubber is bad?

Well there's no leak. One on hot tap the other on mains pressure cold. I put two in each side as they were thinner than the fibre ones coming out.

So no-one reckons that rubber is bad?

The only issue i can think of is that when your tightening up you may tear into a thin rubber washer whereas the fibre washer wont buckle or tear.

If its not leaking you must have done it right:)

Part of the idea of fiber washers, I think, is that they are intended to swell up after you have tightened them in place and the system water gets on them.

I have never heard of people soaking them before putting them on.

There seems to be two types of 1/2" fiber washer, one center hole appears to be slightly bigger than another's. I think its the dark red one that has the largest hole.

I don't like rubber washers myself as they seem far to easy to cut up.

Use some silicon grease on the fiber washers before you install them, this creates a good seal and no need to over tighten them. I find over tightening the rubber washers will cause them to split.

Last edited:
Personally speaking I prefer the "Klingerite" (sp) washer if its for water, for gas its got to be a graphited washer or a rubber washer, depending on what the gas is, natural or LPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fibre versus rubber washer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock