Currently reading:
Can I Swage Gas Pipe?

Discuss Can I Swage Gas Pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just out of interest - off topic.

What are your copper tube wall thicknesses?
We measure our pipe OD.
1/2" - 0.91 mm
3/4" - 1.02 mm
1" - 1.22 mm
I think 15mm is 0.7, and 0.9 for 22mm, so a bit thinner than your stuff. I'd be tempted to do it on water (it looks good), but only if I could get a squeeze-operated expander. Seen one in books, but not for sale. Can't be bothered to have to start hitting an expander with a hammer while supporting the pipe somewhow.

Swage pipe for plumbing and heating. If the copper is good quality then a swaged joint is fine and IMHO looks good. If you have a bender, springs internal and external with different shaped knees to get different bends, and swaging tool then some quite dandy pipework can be achieved. Mind you I am getting too old to do 22mm too much this way !

The hand held expanders are terrible things. They split the side wall of the pipe immediately. They are too aggressive.

You have to anneal the copper first before using them.
If you use coiled copper and cut the tube with pipe cutters, you have to remove the burr completely.
We used to use them all the time - not so much anymore due to pressfit fittings.

Saying that we did a 65mm gas main recently and decided to solder the joints due to cost of fittings.
We even pulled out the branch pullers for tees and the expanders for swaging.

72C2BEF0-5A08-4AA4-A23A-344B9EA98F75.jpeg Still buy them

Reply to Can I Swage Gas Pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back