Currently reading:
water in combustion chamber

Discuss water in combustion chamber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi peeps

i am just after some good fellows advice the waste pipe in my house blocked and unfortunately the condensate pipe went to it and then boiler would not fire up called a guy out to service it its an oil boiler worcestor camray utility 18/25 and the combustion chamber was is full of water ?? it is only ten years old and guy says its kaput maybe i pulling at strings but would jacket be split
or could the water get back into it ?? up the condensate pipe pics posted advice please

IMG_20190301_140417.jpg

IMG_20190301_140500.jpg

IMG_20190301_140502.jpg

IMG_20190301_140506.jpg

If the waste pipe in your house did cause that, you could possibly claim for a new Boiler on your house insurance. They may want an independent Engineers report to ascertain the cause first though.

Just thinking out loud.

well just thinking i would like to find out why myself as yes it does look like its been like it for a while and i didn,t think about house insurance have to look at that more worried about the quotes i got for an oil replacement any recommendations make etc, dont want a worcester again not after only 10 years on this one

Sorry Dazzer,
As an oil engineer, I would agree it’s goosed.
You may be able to buy a replacement water jacket, but the combined labour cost would be very high!
You need a replacement, with a separate condensate termination.
Where abouts are you?

well just thinking i would like to find out why myself as yes it does look like its been like it for a while and i didn,t think about house insurance have to look at that more worried about the quotes i got for an oil replacement any recommendations make etc, dont want a worcester again not after only 10 years on this one
So the house waste pipe blocked, water couldn’t get out and you blame the boiler eh.

If the condense pipe had blocked and caused that water, then boiler jacket might be ok and could be cleaned. The burner might be repairable also.
A lot of water into a boiler for a short period will not destroy it.
(Condense water is corrosive on any steel, so would eventually damage the main jacket.)

But if the water jacket is leaking on the main or secondary exchanger, then boiler is scrap.

ahh ok so you are under the impression it just happened with that rust i did think they were built with lock outs etc but im not a plumber so if condensate pipe blocks it can cause this ?? i,e back fill ??

Yes, on oil boilers the water would just back up into boiler secondary exchanger and could find its way into the rest of boiler if it was from other waste water. There is no overflow cut out.
This is why the condense trap has an overflow bung rubber ‘cork’ which you remove if boiler is external or in a garage, where it would do no harm to have it overflowing until cause is sorted

Dazzer,
If you haven’t already emptied the water out, do so ASAP, remove door for access. Obviously isolate it from electric and fuel supply first.
You’ll need to open up the secondary heat exchange and empty the trap(Probably a job for Oil Engineer).
Monitor it for any further water build. Which would indicate internal leak (U/S).
If no water present after a couple of days you should be OK.
If the water level rose high enough to enter the burner via blast tube, then it’s going to need professionally checking before attempting to recommissioning the boiler.

If the OP is really fortunate to find their boiler isn’t leaking, then might just need a good overhaul including the burner, with possible parts needed.

This reminds me of a job about at least 15 years ago with an oil boiler at a house a landlord had just purchased. Rain water getting in at flue had filled the boiler like above photos. Landlord said it looked destroyed. I drained the boiler shell, fitted new base and lid material plus some minor work to burner and boiler still working to this day. :) Going to service it shortly

Yes, on oil boilers the water would just back up into boiler secondary exchanger and could find its way into the rest of boiler if it was from other waste water. There is no overflow cut out.
This is why the condense trap has an overflow bung rubber ‘cork’ which you remove if boiler is external or in a garage, where it would do no harm to have it overflowing until cause is sorted
Ohh thanks for advice I wondered why that bung was in there and presumed it was for something like that

If the OP is really fortunate to find their boiler isn’t leaking, then might just need a good overhaul including the burner, with possible parts needed.

This reminds me of a job about at least 15 years ago with an oil boiler at a house a landlord had just purchased. Rain water getting in at flue had filled the boiler like above photos. Landlord said it looked destroyed. I drained the boiler shell, fitted new base and lid material plus some minor work to burner and boiler still working to this day. :) Going to service it shortly[/Quote

Dazzer,
If you haven’t already emptied the water out, do so ASAP, remove door for access. Obviously isolate it from electric and fuel supply first.
You’ll need to open up the secondary heat exchange and empty the trap(Probably a job for Oil Engineer).
Monitor it for any further water build. Which would indicate internal leak (U/S).
If no water present after a couple of days you should be OK.
If the water level rose high enough to enter the burner via blast tube, then it’s going to need professionally checking before attempting to recommissioning the boiler.
Will try this thanks for help I am a bit bemused as water supply is still on will monitor it a lot more now but doesn't look like it's filling up but I will clean out door off inspect properly ohh I do get a lot of luck mostly bad lol fingers crossed

Reply to water in combustion chamber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock