Currently reading:
Looking for a shower screen that doesn't leak

Discuss Looking for a shower screen that doesn't leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking for a single-piece shower screen to replace the 4 panel folding (got black mould on the rubber parts). Something simple like this:

1631884385003.png

The problem I am finding is that after wading through lots of reviews, it seems to be a common problem across many models that they have a gap in the seal along the bottom, near the hinge, that lets water seep under it and over the edge of the bath. In this room, that would be a problem.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a decent mfr/model that doesn't do this?

Thanks for the feedback.

The issue I am finding (buried in reviews) is that the seal often doesn't go the whole length, so a perfectly-fitted one will still leak:
fnw6ve7.jpg

(there was a review that showed a 10mm gap, but I can't find it)

So, even if I get it just right, it is still going to leak. Problem is that I can't go round and check them in person and none of the online photos are good enough to see that area.

I was hoping I could get something under £100, though I appreciate the £49 B&Q ones aren't going to be much cop.

Well there you go , spend £200 - £300 and all is well.
£50 and you’ll end up with a bit of a leak - but if fitted correctly this will be minimal and a bath mat is your friend in this situation.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

In the end, I went for the £80 Screwfix Special and it seems fine for the price: it's not going to be found in a reclaimation yard in 100 years, but it should last me long enough.

They key thing is that the plastic seal at the bottom is user-applied - so I could make sure it was fitted correctly and it can be easily replaced at a later date.

As a bonus, it uses the same-sized mounting bracket as the existing one - which was the only thing competently-fitted by the original bathroom installers - so I saved a lot of time and I knew that it was already correctly positioned and aligned.

Removable seals get dirty rapidly. I prefer to support glass with small wooden wedges at each end so creating a 4mm air gap. Fill gap with clear silicon, no air bubbles then smooth edges so perpendicular. Leave for 2 days to set. Remove wedges and weight of glass compresses silicon slightly. Fill gaps left from wooden wedges. Even weight distribution, always clean, bombproof.

Reply to Looking for a shower screen that doesn't leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock