Currently reading:
Hole in back of gas meter box - can it be sealed safely?

Discuss Hole in back of gas meter box - can it be sealed safely? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dorset Drew

If a gas meter box is recessed into the wall, with the electrical earthing/bonding wire going through a hole in the back into the cavity... can that hole be sealed safely?

My gas supply company said it's unsafe and no holes into the cavity are allowed (aside the actual supply pipe which is sealed) and the entire meter box needs replacing for it to be considered safe.... my gas safe engineer said it's common to see the wire routed through a small hole like that and it can be sealed.....

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

As a company who provides the gas supplies to new housing we would not except the bonding wire passing through the back of the box only the gas outlet can enter this way as it is sleeved & sealed to prevent any gas escape from filling up the cavity of the wall.

I can't see why the cable can't be removed & relocated outside the box & the hole that is left sealed to an acceptable standard.

Does the earth wire pass through the gas pipe sleeve or is it going through a separate hole?
I think you can repair holes less than 10mm with a manufacturer of the box approved repair kit but this needs to be confirmed by your supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hole in back of gas meter box - can it be sealed safely? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock