Search the forum,

Discuss Zone valve and gas bills in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I have been noticing that my gas bills have been excessively high even in the current climate …I did a little investigating and found my unvented heating system only has one 2 port zone valve controlling the hot water.

My question is could this be what is causing the high bills as there is no way of controlling the heating ?

We'll need a bit more information about your system.

What have you got at the moment as far as thermostat(s) and thermostatic radiator valves? Is it a flat/house? What make/model of boiler do you have.

Seems unusual to only have 1 2 port valve, are you sure that’s all?
Agreed, I'd expect it to be a diverter valve, with two outlets rather than a simple zone valve, e.g. Y-plan.

Speculating a bit until we have more info and perhaps a couple of photos, if there really is only a single zone-valve on the whole system I'd expect that to control the radiator zone, with the hot water tank on whenever the boiler is. Perhaps it was once been a solid fuel system that's been converted on the cheap?

I'd expect that to control the radiator zone, with the hot water tank on whenever the boiler is. Perhaps it was once been a solid fuel system that's been converted on the cheap?
Speculating a bit more, but I think on unvented they have to have a spring return 2 port valve for safety on the hot water?

Speculating a bit more, but I think on unvented they have to have a spring return 2 port valve for safety on the hot water?
Correct this is one of the safety devices fitted to prevent overheating of the cylinder, it's not uncommon to see 2 - 2 port valves fitted and wired in series for time and temperature control on the primary circuit, this is not always the case and then one or even two others on heating zones 😉👍kop

Reply to Zone valve and gas bills in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock