Search the forum,

Discuss Worrying Immersion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Winston

Looking for a little advice as I have not changed many immersions, Customer has called and asked for a new immersion elemant, say husband has fitted cylinder stat at week end but no hot water.

Now what I am worried about is the customer has said element is at bottom of the tank, and concerned that when its drained it isnt going to have any weight to it. do I just need to be gently when trying to remove the old one a bit of heat on its way.

Tell me I am just worrying about nothing.:mad:

Yes!

Check its not one of those cylinders with a blown on insulation jacket. For them you need an immersion box spanner and obviously you can't use heat around the flange or anywhere really the jacket melts and doesn't half pong!

But it may not be as bad as you think as the box spanners apply turning pressure fairly equally all the way around if you keep them straight. If you haven't got one they are usually about fix or six pound.

Don't put to much pressure on though, the copper around the cylinder flange can tare. It's more a case of even pressure and keeping it straight.

If all goes well and they mostly do, it can be a quickie job.

Good Fortune:):):):)

Thanks Bernie, I think sometimes I just like to think to much about what I am intending on doing and then think of all the bad things to happen.

Looking for a little advice as I have not changed many immersions, Customer has called and asked for a new immersion elemant, say husband has fitted cylinder stat at week end but no hot water.

Now what I am worried about is the customer has said element is at bottom of the tank, and concerned that when its drained it isnt going to have any weight to it. do I just need to be gently when trying to remove the old one a bit of heat on its way.

Tell me I am just worrying about nothing.:mad:
i prefer the cast type ring spanner never had much trouble using them on foam lagged cylinder as the are cranked the flat pressed steel ones are crap
i normally give the spanner a couple of sharp taps with the hammer before i drain down just to see it move a bit ,if it dosent then i give it some heat if you keep the torch small and on the inside of the heater it doesnt burn the foam lagging but will soften any jointing compounds
definatley best to see some movement before you drain imho

Thanks for that was wondering if I got a little movement whilst tank was full would help. Let you know how I get on.

It was a nightmare! Tank kept getting blocked whilst draining down :mad: Which then led me to believe it had actually emptied! After much tapping with my hammer gently apply pressure nowt. Applied heat got the job done.

Unscrewing the element woosh water shoots out! put back in mopped up! Went back to the hose nowt coming out, good old suck and carp comes out, bits of wood and scale.

Anyway light at end of the day replaced and job done but I hate to admit it 5 Hours. For those that are considering fast track training they dont cover this and its not easy.

But as usual I have learnt and customer is happy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worrying Immersion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock