Search the forum,

Discuss Worktops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

I recently came across a worktop type I have never seen before.

They are about 60mm thick but they are not solid.

They are hollow core with two pieces of thin chipboard separated by cardboard egg crate (okay I know its probably got a proper name, but I can't think what it is) and then its covered with what looks like some kind of sheet material.

Apparently they are all the rage in Europe and have green issues involved.

In practical terms "How does it wear and is it any good?"

I must admit being a traditionalist it doesn't look very strong and not one I would instinctively choose for a semi professional working kitchen environment perhaps.

I am willing to learn about them, I could be wrong, so if anybody knows anything about their long term use? :):)

Also how do you hold an inset sink top down in them?

Last edited by a moderator:
They're fine in terms of strength but a little tricky to join with a butt & scribe joint as there's nothing for the connecting bolts to hold on to.

i would also be interested to know more about this type of worktop because i actually have a semi recessed basin to fit into one soon and am trying to find some form of bracket that will hold the basin down to the worktop

steve

Hi! steveb

That is my problem as well.

Somebody fitted a sink top in one, but as far as I can tell it has got no hold down brackets on. They seem to have stuck it down with clear silicon, unfortunately it seems to have a slight buckle in it and so it is coming away from the work top.

I Googled it and apparently you can get extension brackets,to add on to your existing brackets to make them longer, problem is where do you get them?

I imagine any inset basin or sink would have the same problem and its probably best to sort the brackets out before fitting one. As usual it seems its the little things that may take the longest.

Can't you stuff a 50mm Turbogold screw in and do a runner?
:eek:

i would also be interested to know more about this type of worktop because i actually have a semi recessed basin to fit into one soon and am trying to find some form of bracket that will hold the basin down to the worktop

steve

Gripfill max

Ikea sell them and you cant do a join. I went to help a joiner mate of mine on a job and he walked when he saw the worktop. He was very polite about it but explained the are really suited for free standing kitchen furniture or situations where a join is not required. You simply can't guarantee seal a join in this type of material or bolt it. It is very strong so no worries if you do use it.

Well yes that's about the size of it. Although used on frestanding furniture it is strong stuff.

have you ever come acros worktops which are just wood with the top tiled?

is that what they call it, catchy title eh?

1970s? i dont recalll them in the 70s but i was only a babe. ive seen a few of them done lately and they look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worktops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock