Search the forum,

Discuss Working situations ???? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, Quick question
Hows everyone getting on with not being at work ?
I've had a few pals inform me that they are still working in domestic properties but staying 2m apart from customers and having as may external doors and windows open as possible.
Wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.
Stay Safe :)

Not been working now for nearly 3 weeks, I am a bathroom fitter and most of my customers are isolating as in the 65+ age range.
I know a few that have carried on but I figure the more that stop working the quicker this might be over.

It’s looking like another 3-4 weeks minimum before they will begin to lift restrictions and this is going to be where money starts getting tight, especially if there is a delay in getting furlough and self employed payments out.

Even when they do start to lift restrictions many of my customers have said they want to delay the start of works until later in the year so worse yet to come I think.

Empty properties on my own yes, emergencies maybe (none yet).

I think that people going from job to job are a huge risk because they touch surfaces and could have difficulty keeping 2 metres apart. Also people don't want you at the moment is my experience.

I have done 3 jobs in the last three weeks , ( no idea what I am going to spend the £180 on yet , but thinking about it . ) Customers kept in other rooms and I wasn’t hanging about , TBH I didn’t feel comfortable at all . Will still carry on doing any emergencies coming in but I make my mind up if they are emergencies , not the customer

3 jobs in 3 weeks for me too, one NHS nurses shower needed replacing, 1 leak and one toilet not flushing. I've got slightly more to put into the private yacht fund with £220 over the 3 weeks ;)
I like the bit Townfan put about him deciding what is an emergency and not the customer.
My website has a big banner on saying I'll only be taking on emergency jobs, still had a call for an outside tap a couple of hours ago and the lady clearly said she got my number off my website :rolleyes:

3 jobs in 3 weeks for me too, one NHS nurses shower needed replacing, 1 leak and one toilet not flushing. I've got slightly more to put into the private yacht fund with £220 over the 3 weeks ;)
I like the bit Townfan put about him deciding what is an emergency and not the customer.
My website has a big banner on saying I'll only be taking on emergency jobs, still had a call for an outside tap a couple of hours ago and the lady clearly said she got my number off my website :rolleyes:

£220 Pffftttttttttttt lol

Still working mostly finishing off a site / whole house

As you would expect my plumbing workshop is closed at the college and the apprentices have all been marked out as with employer for the foreseeable. I am a Civil Servant by way of some strange historical twist surrounding pay and responsibilities the college technicians went through years before my time. So, I have filled out our government employee forms about redeployment and I sit and wait to see if I will be redeployed elsewhere. Interestingly there were some choices available on this form. I ticked that I would do anything they asked me to except looking after other people's kids. That would be worse than no work at all I think. I do feel guilty that I am being paid at the moment to not go to work.

They are still paying us normal rate which I am extremely and truly grateful for right now. My wife is on reduced hours and pay and working from home at the moment as she works for a private company.

One thing that has surprised me is the lack of traffic on forums asking for help as I thought more people would be doing diy around the home so guess unless they already had the parts then they couldn`t go and buy them.

I am ashamed to say I still do a couple of days a week. I would absolutely be doing same as you guys if I or my family were in risk category. Government allows me to work I make my own decision with statistics on hand I am much more likely to die in an accident while driving the van to the job than from the virus. Every customer gets asked about any symptoms, I watch out for any coughing. I know this gets spread without any symptoms but at the end of the day I did my risk assessment when I went to their house, customer did theirs too when they called me. It is a selfish thing to do because I am safe thanks to people like you guys who go above and beyond what is asked. But we are all human and when it comes to the moral compass I mean has anyone not received a text along the lines "verify your bank account asap at this link" or a call that your business has been chosen to take the one spot on some cancer charity ad? There are plenty of people out there who will skin you alive and take your last bread.

I know writing this here won't promote any sympathy but wanted to add something to the discussion anyway seing how I am one of the few still out there.

One thing that has surprised me is the lack of traffic on forums asking for help as I thought more people would be doing diy around the home so guess unless they already had the parts then they couldn`t go and buy them.
I agree thought diyers would be asking loads but with the lack of engineers to call out maybe people are not stepping out of their comfort zone, and also keeping their lolly in the bank as who knows how long this will carry on. Centralheatking

I work for a housing association/social housing down here & have continued working throughout.

My own work is very quiet due to age demographic of customers i work for but had a couple of emergency repairs & been fully ppe'd up for them with cleaning down before and after to keep us all safe.

We have had about half of the team furloughed due to underlying health/family/care issue & the rest of us have had to crack on.

The planners are still booking in servicing as well as repairs.

Not been enjoyable going to tenants houses with no information &/or them stating they are showing no symptoms to get a repair done and then hearing them coughing there guts up in the next room as you have boiler in bits or halfway through the service.

A lot of them are WTF are you doing here, are you mad, plus a lot are self isolating but being coerced into allowing access due to being told that the supply would be cut off if access not granted contrary to government rules.

Had a few lively yard discussions with management but as most people will say it's having the ppe to do the job that matters & not feeling like you are getting shafted by some twit in an office deeming that as long as no one is showing symptoms then go in as normal but just wipe down as you go and by the way don't forget to sanitise your hands/kit when you get back to your van.

I have my own 1/2 mask with odour & ffp3r protection and just managed to scrounge some new ffp3r filter for it to go with gloves etc.

Would be good to get the office dwellers to come out into the real world sometimes.

Hope you are all safe wherever you are & always be dilligent with customers as some are maybe not as honest as they could be to get repairs done.......

I’m still working in private sector I got correct ppe and everything at minute is cash so can’t turn it down! Il be honest this virus is best thing that’s happened in years 👍
Hi smoother
What area do you work if you're anywhere near Wolverhampton I would really appreciate you making contact I have cash

I’m nationwide butty I’m only working for cash while all coronavirus going on names dollar 07432629943
Get in touch we the best around 👍
Thank you dollar
I'm getting answer phone I appreciate it's an evening do you think my £750 budget will cover this boiler installation and will you be ok working around my nan as it's been really warm at the moment for her to sit in the car

You're welcome

Hi everyone, Quick question
Hows everyone getting on with not being at work ?
I've had a few pals inform me that they are still working in domestic properties but staying 2m apart from customers and having as may external doors and windows open as possible.
Wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.
Stay Safe :)

In the town where I live a Pub Landlord, who's still providing alcohol off-sales during lockdown, has starting posting on Facebook and has done a local leafleting campaign advertising himself as a family run plumbing company and is available to take on work.

Is he allowed to do this? It certainly doesn't sound very ethical to me, especially as you guys must be really struggling during this period. I'm certain that plumbers wouldn't be able to sell beer and alcohol to make ends meet!

Reply to Working situations ???? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock