Search the forum,

Discuss Working on heating side of system with an unvented cylinder, no G3? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I'm a competent DIYer with an engineering background and am active in Heritage Buildings. I never touch anything I'm not allowed to albeit I've worked on the wet side of my own heating on the central heating circuit before when I had a combi - balancing rads, add a Fernox TF1, washing through the system and running new rads from the manifold, and understand the nuances of s-type wiring etc.

I've recently moved into a large old property and the prior owners have massively underspecced radiators in a number of rooms (I've run heat loss calcs and they're about 20% of what's required in one room - a stupid bloody designer spring rad with an output of 1,200 BTU in an attic room with a heat loss of in excess of 6,000 BTU).

I would be delighted to drain down the system and put a "real" radiator in - but can I legally do so on an unvented system? And if so, is there anything specific I need to do or know?

I've tried finding a local G3 plumber but they seem to be impossible to source.

Thanks so much!

Yes you can. G3 is only with regards to the unvented cylinder.
However if you have an unvented cylinder and don’t know exactly what you’re looking at, I strongly advise that you get this serviced and checked over - especially in light of the obvious mistake you have found, there may be potentially dangerous mistakes on the install that you are unaware of.
Regarding your radiator swap- just drain down to below the attic rad you are replacing (no need for a full drain down).
Alter pipework for new rad and top up system, don’t forget inhibitor, then vent as usual.

Reply to Working on heating side of system with an unvented cylinder, no G3? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on the first floor and then to feed a towel rail in a bathroom a rad in the utility and a rad in my lounge on the ground floor. Can I run my 22mm flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock