Search the forum,

Discuss Working In USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

K

Kimou

Anyone know anything about working abroad in the US? I've tried searching for a relative thread, but can't seem to find one. I'm sure there is, tho'.
I'm just looking for some start up info to get me on the road to an informed decision. I am looking into other avenues regarding this, but I thought someone here may be of assistance. Or perhaps any of our American counterparts on here, maybe, can give me some advice. I'd love to hear from you.

Work over here is really depressing me due to the complete disregard by the gov't to regulate our trade. Now, it seems, even the AA is giving their breakdown engs rudemintary training in plumbing to attend leaks etc... What's the point in all this time and effort to become a plumber when the industry's in a such state of non-regulation.

In the US they regulate by enforcing punitive action, including custodial sentencing to homeowners who employ unregistered/unqualified wannabe-s. Sounds good to me.

Also, is there any progress known by anyone into regulating our trade? I have no idea to that effect.

Anyone know anything about working abroad in the US? I've tried searching for a relative thread, but can't seem to find one. I'm sure there is, tho'.
I'm just looking for some start up info to get me on the road to an informed decision. I am looking into other avenues regarding this, but I thought someone here may be of assistance. Or perhaps any of our American counterparts on here, maybe, can give me some advice. I'd love to hear from you.

Work over here is really depressing me due to the complete disregard by the gov't to regulate our trade. Now, it seems, even the AA is giving their breakdown engs rudemintary training in plumbing to attend leaks etc... What's the point in all this time and effort to become a plumber when the industry's in a such state of non-regulation.

In the US they regulate by enforcing punitive action, including custodial sentencing to homeowners who employ unregistered/unqualified wannabe-s. Sounds good to me.

Also, is there any progress known by anyone into regulating our trade? I have no idea to that effect.

This basic training will bite them in the backside though mate. Leaks can range from a slight drip to a full blown mains wreking havoc. All the basic training in the world can prepare you for the real world. There are still some systems I don't fully understand and struggle with. I wouldn't let things like this bother you.
I've been to the US a few times and I reckon it would be a nice place to work, plus there's no new language to learn. Have you checked on what works available yet?

If its more regulated than here, which isn't hard, then I reckon you may have to jump through hoops to get there.

Here's what I know. You need a license to work. The higher license allows you to pull a permit which is needed to work. A lower license allow you to work with a P1 [higher license holder] Without a permit you are liable for all sorts. The money's great out there, but you're right, there are hoops. A lot of hoops to get out there. They first want US citizens to fill jobs then they offer to other candidates when positions can't be filled. But once you're out there it's a good career.

Here's what I know. You need a license to work. The higher license allows you to pull a permit which is needed to work. A lower license allow you to work with a P1 [higher license holder] Without a permit you are liable for all sorts. The money's great out there, but you're right, there are hoops. A lot of hoops to get out there. They first want US citizens to fill jobs then they offer to other candidates when positions can't be filled. But once you're out there it's a good career.
Then go for it mate, wish I had done it years ago before wife and kids came along lol

I suggest that you do a lot of research, living and working in the USA is not as nice as going there on holiday.

I had the visa back in the 80's won it in a visa lottery for Irish emigrants (Morrissey or Donelley can't remember now) might have been a great idea if I was single but married with two children I had a better lifestyle in Ireland than I would have had in L.A.

Health insurance is vital and back then for a family about $100.00 a week.

Schools, not like we are used to wife had an Aunt who was a school principle there her advice was to equal the quality of education we were looking at private schools average $4,000 per child per year our kids were in infants class!

Self employed, more Cowboys than Indians in California, one of the most heavily regulated States maybe equal to Florida, at least at home we knew who and what we were competing with.

We already had the American dream, in fact we had better, our own (almost) 4 bed semi, mercedes car, few vans, employees etc. Yes we could have had better weather but who needs heat in L.A.?

Never regretted not going, as my kids grew up we went to different parts of the USA on holiday, they went on working visas when in college, very very few Americans can afford to take a foreign holiday throwing a few grand at a few weeks in Florida was second nature to me :)

That's something I'd need to consider. I still would like to go and I love my job hence the enquiries. If it proves to be too much headache then I could always put my mind to other things. I appreciate your caveats and take them on board. Did you find out the relevant bodies and organisations that deal with certification or training at all?

I was looking into it a while ago. As you say - you defo will need to sit local state exams and get the license. Here's a Florida's CILB 5-M - Certified Plumbing Contractor as an Individual:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Ch...ctCode=1030&clientCode=0604&XACT_DEFN_ID=3049

It's a big step. I wasn't ready for the move, so it didn't happen. But the choice is yours - you can be anything you want and be anywhere you wonna be! Good luck to you with it. Hope you make a right choice.

I agree with Alex it's a big step but that doesn't mean you should not take it, I was given a chance and like you are doing today I weighed up my options as it turned out the right decision on the day was not to go.

I now have the benefit of hindsight (20 / 20 vision) given how things worked out I have no regrets, that said if I had gone I could be typing this from the USA with stories of how many many millions I have and all the great opportunities I availed of that I would never have had in the UK or Ireland, who knows?

They have the population, those numbers on their own say immense possibilities for anyone who wants to give it a try, I have a small stake in a business in the US and have to say any of the people I met or dealt with there were good, honorable and decent.

One piece of advice I was given by one of my Uncles at the time was, "It's your decision when you make it don't start comparing lost opportunities either here or there life is for living we only get one chance at so enjoy whatever you do".

Have fun doing your research, there's lots you can learn in the process, keep an open mind and best of luck whatever you decide.

kimou - my mate rusty333 worked in us as a plumber for about ten years, its mainly all unventeds over there. he was based in florida. he would probably be the best to speak to about the process.

send him a pm,

he dont get on here all that often so if he doesnt reply pm me and ill give him a bell for ya

kimou - my mate rusty333 worked in us as a plumber for about ten years, its mainly all unventeds over there. he was based in florida. he would probably be the best to speak to about the process.

send him a pm,

he dont get on here all that often so if he doesnt reply pm me and ill give him a bell for ya

Thanks for all of your input. I haven't been on here for a long while and I'm grateful for your responses.
I will pm him, kay-jay. I was looking at either Connecticut or San Diego. But the gist of it will be the same I guess.

You're right, they have unvented and it's all tied in to the aircon systems. The systems' pipework I saw looked terrible though, but that may have been just bad workmanship. All the water pipes were CPVC. I enquired as I thought it was MDPE, but no; and it's glued not 'SharkBite' our version of Speedfit type. A lot to get used to. And it's all imperial, too.
But in saying that, I do admire the Yanks ability for innovation and time saving gimmicks.

if i had the choice then it would be Canada mainly because i have family in scarborough(toronto). i havent managed to go there yet but hoping to go for a long holiday in the not too distant future.

I've got a mate who works in Canada. He loves it over there....and left years ago. Not been back since. He's a plumber of course!!

I've another mate who moved to US, not a plumber, but he likes it over there. Now has a his own house with a pool, pool house. Looks nice. He works in a super market, and his wife is a teacher, so not wealthy people.

Lastly I have a good mate who lives in New Zealand, and he loves it there. Been there two years, on a three year contract and has told me he plans to extend the contract if possible.

Reply to Working In USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock