Search the forum,

Discuss Working evenings & weekends in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Booch

Hi all im new to this so sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

I am currently in full time employment as a domestic gas instalation & service engineer for a local company. I work under their gas safe registration, I want to get out on my own in the next couple of years but am finding it hard to save any money as a buffer when I do start due to morgage & a family on one income.

If I get my own gas safe registration can I adverise my own services for evening and weekend work using my own van and tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can, but some firms are funny about people having there own gas safe registration. Personally I would tell them to "go away". I don't see how a firm can stop you having your own and doing your own bits and bobs.

But as far as doing your own work goes as long as you have your own gas safe and public liability your fine to do your own thing.

Thanks great help im going to go for it I need to start saving and beside getting a evening job this is the only way. Also should build up a client base for when I do set up.

Thanks great help im going to go for it I need to start saving and beside getting a evening job this is the only way. Also should build up a client base for when I do set up.

I'd go for it mate, its the best way to start up on your own. When I started up I was dropped in the deep end as I was made redundant and I just had to go for it. So I contract during the day and do my own bits and bobs in the afternoons and saturdays. Slowly but surely I'm getting there and have had my first bit of repeat business in the last few weeks. Good luck mate

I'd go for it mate, its the best way to start up on your own. When I started up I was dropped in the deep end as I was made redundant and I just had to go for it. So I contract during the day and do my own bits and bobs in the afternoons and saturdays. Slowly but surely I'm getting there and have had my first bit of repeat business in the last few weeks. Good luck mate

i pritty much am doing exactly the same, contracting when i can and booking my own graft around it :) its hard mate! just down the road from you aswell in telford :)

i pritty much am doing exactly the same, contracting when i can and booking my own graft around it :) its hard mate! just down the road from you aswell in telford :)

I find you can stike quite a good balance working this way, plus you can easily book time off when contracting and can fit any extra work in that you may have.

I just got a contract so will be looking at a heating system a week minimum, probably heating system and combi swap some weeks, and will fit my own jobs around it, I'm trying to not work weekends but if its a good earner then I will

as long as you are as fair with your boss as he is with you, ie if he is a good boss dont steal his customers or his stuff

as long as you are as fair with your boss as he is with you, ie if he is a good boss dont steal his customers or his stuff

I wouldn't dream of biting the hand that feeds me. I could easily top up my earning with other jobs in the houses that he gives me to do but I just tell them to call him and he can sort out someone else coming to do it for them. I have a nice amount of my own work to keep me busy so I can't be bothered with taking his customers.

I have a good boss and would never dream of taking his customers of stock. Do you think it is worth telling my boss I will be working evenings and weekends on my own registration or keep it to myself. Jobs are hard to come by at the moment so dont want to risk loosing it!

I have a good boss and would never dream of taking his customers of stock. Do you think it is worth telling my boss I will be working evenings and weekends on my own registration or keep it to myself. Jobs are hard to come by at the moment so dont want to risk loosing it!

I wouldn't bother, may just cause a fuss. Just do it, you don't have to tell your boss anything. The way I see it is that your boss is only your boss between 8 and 5 mon-fri. After that you can do what you like.

Worked for one guy said he had no problem with the guys doing private work so long as it was not in his time or with his materials regards turnpin
icon7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working evenings & weekends in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some domestic and new builds here and there. Sole trader working for numerous different companies. Been thinking that maybe it's time I started my own...
Replies
Views
I
Can someone in the know kindly clarify, please? I have tried to get Gas Safe on the phone, but no good! I have had conflicting advice. I am in the position of being able to start a small business employing two nephews - both of whom are Gas Safe registered. But do I have to ensure the business...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock