Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester combi boiler losing pressure - when to check? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi.

I have a Worcester combi boiler in an infrequently occupied holiday let in Scotland. It frequently shows low pressure on the boiler and has occasionally over the years stopped due to low pressure. Topping it up seems to solve the problem for anything between months and days. If there was a leak then the downstairs neighbour would let me know soon enough!! I live in terror of it dying and the pipes freezing in the middle of winter.

It just recently dawned on me that maybe I am fretting over nothing. What I realised was that the pressure might only be usefully read when the boiler is on. While it was off the pressure was at zero but after running it for about 5 minutes it was happily in the green (sorry, don't have any accurate figures as I am not there right now).

But in general, what reading might I expect when the boiler is off?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ken

Get it serviced Ken any good engineer will know what up with it, while he's there get him to drain the system flush it and refill adding a central heating anti freeze you could also have a smart control fitted so you can monitor what the boilers doing and turn it on adjust the temperatures etc from your phone or tablet when your not there . Cheers kop

Hi.

I have a Worcester combi boiler in an infrequently occupied holiday let in Scotland. It frequently shows low pressure on the boiler and has occasionally over the years stopped due to low pressure. Topping it up seems to solve the problem for anything between months and days. If there was a leak then the downstairs neighbour would let me know soon enough!! I live in terror of it dying and the pipes freezing in the middle of winter.

It just recently dawned on me that maybe I am fretting over nothing. What I realised was that the pressure might only be usefully read when the boiler is on. While it was off the pressure was at zero but after running it for about 5 minutes it was happily in the green (sorry, don't have any accurate figures as I am not there right now).

Thanks in anticipation.

Ken
The pressure should be between 1 and 1.5 when the system is off and the system cold
Obviously hot water expands so pressure will rise when the heating is on.
When was it last serviced ?

Hi.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ken
You could try the MFD from Flowflex this unit will automatically top up the heating system but maintain 1.5 bar and no more. It has automatic flood protection as part of the unit. It is a 5 min diy fit It is to be renamed Top Up Mate in Jan 2019....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

You could try the MFD from Flowflex this unit will automatically top up the heating system but maintain 1.5 bar and no more. It has automatic flood protection as part of the unit. It is a 5 min diy fit It is to be renamed Top Up Mate in Jan 2019....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Auto top up is just masking a problem. Find the problem. Fix the problem.

Sounds like the op has quite a simple issue that a proper service will cover. Or it would when I'm servicing a boiler on a sealed system.

Reply to Worcester combi boiler losing pressure - when to check? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Greetings. I have an external Worcester Bosch Heatslave boiler and have a question about pressure. The boiler pressure was set to 1.5 during a recent visit by a plumber (as it seemed to have dropped and was hovering between the green and red zone) . A few days later I turned the thermostat down...
Replies
Views
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel and he replaced the heat exchanger element. The boiler is coming up for 15 years old. The boiler was going below one bar and not increasing when...
Replies
Views
Greetings. I have an external Worcester Bosch Heatslave boiler and have a question about pressure. The boiler pressure was set to 1.5 during a recent visit by a plumber (as it seemed to have dropped and was hovering between the green and red zone) . A few days later I turned the thermostat down...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock