Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch wires melting in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for explaining. Silly question. What does CPC mean mate?

Whilst that may have been identified, this doesn't explain why the "short" didn't use the circuit CPC (earth) back to the fuseboard . which is what I would have expected unless the circuit cpc wasn't connected at the fuseboard.

Was this circuit a Ring or Radial and was it tested properly for continuity?

the electrician did say that the electrics in the property weren't earthed, and were relying on an earth on the gas and water pipes?

He advised me to call my supplier (E-On) and get them to sort this earth out. After half an hour on the phone to Bangalore or somewhere, Ive got someone coming tomorrow to fit a smart meter ffs. 🤣 Despite telling the chap countless times I need someone to look into the incoming connection, he insists its something they'll deal with as part of the smart meter install. The cynic in me suspects he's taking cr@p and is on commission for getting someone out to install a smart meter

Would this usually be the job of the DNO (northern powergrid in this case), or something I should get my own electrician to sort?

the electrician did say that the electrics in the property weren't earthed, and were relying on an earth on the gas and water pipes?

He advised me to call my supplier (E-On) and get them to sort this earth out. After half an hour on the phone to Bangalore or somewhere, Ive got someone coming tomorrow to fit a smart meter ffs. 🤣 Despite telling the chap countless times I need someone to look into the incoming connection, he insists its something they'll deal with as part of the smart meter install. The cynic in me suspects he's taking cr@p and is on commission for getting someone out to install a smart meter

Would this usually be the job of the DNO (northern powergrid in this case), or something I should get my own electrician to sort?

Sounds like you need a new electrician ...

Did said electrician give you any paperwork for your work ?

Sounds like you need a new electrician .

Did said electrician give you any paperwork for your work ?

no paperwork yet, other than a bill :eek:

What makes you say that anyway? I’m guessing you’re suggesting the electrician should be the man to sort out this earth issue rather than my supplier or DNO?

If the electrician has determined that your house has no earth, then this is in fact a very different (and quite dangerous) situation, a photograph of the consumer unit, meter and incoming service head would be useful for us.
Treat this revelation as very urgent to fix.

no paperwork yet, other than a bill :eek:

What makes you say that anyway? I’m guessing you’re suggesting the electrician should be the man to sort out this earth issue rather than my supplier or DNO?

No decent competent spark would leave you in this situation without some form of written note for the client to understand

There are homes around without an earth, there are home around that use gas or water pipes for the earth .... only a private metal water supply pipe can be considered suitable for use as an earth ....

Where does the electrical supply enter your home? Overhead or under ground?

Not enough information to comment further tbh and I would recommend you get a 2nd opinion ...

Maybe the op could post some pictures

The electrician says it has an earth, but it’s not sufficient and it’s not with the electrical supply? It’s on the gas and water pipes?

The house has a normal underground supply, all the utilities are in the cellar

Here’s a pic of the fuseboard setup and the earthing around the boiler gas and water pipes...

Attachments

• 476E15E7-D2AE-44DF-8AF0-23431C2B26AC.jpeg
    476E15E7-D2AE-44DF-8AF0-23431C2B26AC.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DE0D53AE-BB56-47B3-B3BD-F249ABDBCDF7.jpeg
    DE0D53AE-BB56-47B3-B3BD-F249ABDBCDF7.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 13
OK, I cannot see any green or green/yellow cable coming from the service head, black block on right, i also cannot see any device that would be used if your service has an earth rod somewhere in your garden. You have no additional protection for earth faults in your fusebox that we have on more modern installs. So basically its as pointed out probably the only meaningful earth is via the water pipe. This is not good. You need a proper earthing system as nowadays gas and water supplies are quickly being fed via plastic pipes so you may have only a short bit of pipe actually to earth.
There are much better ways of earthing available which will stop further faults melting random earth wires in your house.
Good call to get supplier in to give you an acceptable modern earth for your house.

I do a lot of testing and have a feel for whats going to pass. I would bet that your current install cannot trip the breakers in the required time, this is bad and you may well be at risk.

Interesting pictures.

No RCD, no suppliers earth (could be a TT supply) but there appear to be green & yellow cables exiting the fuseboard from the top - so is there a TT earth rod outside. You also need to get the installation checked to see if there is any equipotential bonding in place too!

You may not get an earth from the supplier (if it is TT) and you will need a competent spark back.

Your fuseboard needs updating and RCD protection adding - I would recommend a new board with RCBO's

Could be an expensive January for you - but potential life saving money to be spent

Hope this helps

Reply to Worcester Bosch wires melting in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock