Search the forum,

Discuss Wood Burners Open Fires and Stoves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
From next year fuels for all these will be controlled Bags of logs and coal at Diy, garden centres and garages will be banned and phased out in favour of less polluting controlled fuel. Good luck with that one. The legislation says nothing about my army of chainsaw and log splitter enthusiasts.
I know a company in Cornwall with a patent for a domestic chimney filter...they should do well centralheatking

Last edited:
And clearly demonstrates how little the people drafting such "rules" know nothing about burning wood - who in their right minds tries to burn freshly cut wood.

I leave ours for a minimum of 2 years under cover before trying to split it, and if it won't split easily, it goes back on the pile .......

Chk, you and your army of loggers are the very people who cause the most pollution amongst us boaters. Can't see a chimney flue stopping the crapp from burning the wrong wood.

Log burners in houses may be a fad as you call it but they have been used in boats for hundreds of years, an awful lot depends on the person and what they burn, anyway they aren't banning the burners just some types of fuels.

Log burners in houses may be a fad as you call it but they have been used in boats for hundreds of years, an awful lot depends on the person and what they burn, anyway they aren't banning the burners just some types of fuels.
I think that's the issue though, if it was the minority of people using them then it wouldn't be an issue. You have a lot of people who have other cleaner sources of heat (Such as CH etc) having them fitted and then being inexperienced with them burning out on them. My in laws used to have a log burner with back boiler that they used to use regularly, to heat their home as they didn't have Gas/Oil however i've since fitted them LPG and a boiler and they can't believe how much cleaner and cheaper it is to run....the government should be doing more and providing grants to get the people that can over onto cleaner fuels.

Chk, you and your army of loggers are the very people who cause the most pollution amongst us boaters. Can't see a chimney flue stopping the crapp from burning the wrong wood.
Oy rpm I have a barge and my wood is often years dried in the old shed, my friend the tree surgeon drops it off when he runs out of room at his farm. I think this is aimed at suburban yuppies with open fires and stoves whom run them occasionally for effect and pick up a net or two kindling and a bag of wet coal from the BP on a Friday night stick them in the back of the range river for instant gratification and stuff the neighbours Centralheatking
[automerge]1582303528[/automerge]
Tbh I think it's a good thing, Log Burners being a fad over the last few years and anyone burns any rubbish on them polluting the air. They should ban the sale of inefficient gas fires whilst they're at it too.
Like DFE

Tbh I think it's a good thing, Log Burners being a fad over the last few years and anyone burns any rubbish on them polluting the air. They should ban the sale of inefficient gas fires whilst they're at it too.

Very valid point with DFE's etc and open fires being about 20% efficient but you can get multi fuel stoves that are 80% efficient which isn't bad going.

Well, I once bought some roadside 'seasoned firewood'. Good hardwood, it was, but about 40% moisture and therefore useless. In principle, regulation is a good idea.

To be honest, however, my biggest air quality issue at home in the UK is people with bonfires of garden waste. Quite why people with massive gardens don't have space for a compost heap, if they object to going to the tip, is beyond me, particularly when I've opened my windows on a winter evening for some fresh air and find my eyes stinging and feel like I cannot breathe.

Here in my current location, in Italy, nearly everyone burns wood. Those who cut their own sometimes have the best quality of all as collecting it becomes a hobby and then they have several years' worth in storage, and thus it becomes very well seasoned (dry mountain air helps too). The sold wood often isn't much good until it's been stored for a season - but it depends on who sells it, and whether the buyer knows their stuff.

But a culture of wood burning helps a lot - in Wales, you often see piles of firewood stored exposed to the rain, which would not happen over here. Perhaps once people get to see what genuinely dry wood burns like, the informally sourced wood will have to improve in quality?

Don't know if you've mentioned it before Ric but what are you doing there, are you stuck for the moment?
One of my parents is unwell and needs support at the time being, hence been here since December.
Isn't burning wood considered carbon neutral?
Yes, if sourced locally. I'd be interested to know, in real-world terms, if NOx gasses are produced during combustion. Might mean it isn't climate neutral... but perhaps a domestic fire doesn't get hot enough to produce nitrous oxides?

That said, I know a lot of ecos who would say wood isn't really an eco-fuel in the UK on any kind of scale. Too dense a population, and growing "bio" fuels on what could be farmland simply results in more fuels being used to transport food from overseas.

Reply to Wood Burners Open Fires and Stoves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hello all, I have a problem with the gravity circuit on a system with 16kw multi fuel burner with a back boiler. The existing plumbing is about 15 years old, roughly. House was vacant before buying and had an old inset stove that was falling apart, assume it worked fine as it was a housing...
Replies
Views
L
FAILED............ damned wrist isnt woiking A mate on the boat told me about a chap who moved down to combe martin (land of 6 fingered folk down the road) all the way from London. Seems he was very intelligent, wealthy but liked a bit of diy. So he wanted a wood burning stove, didnt want it...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
C
Hi I'm new to this site, so hello all. I am looking at removing my gas fire and putting a solid fuel (log burner). From what I've read online some say you need building reg permission, hetas engineer . I know you need a flue, Flue liner register plate etc. I know I'll need a gas safe register...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
C
Hi i would like some other plumbers advice who have had good experience with solid fuel and gravity installations. I have just fitted a 300 litre thermal store in a customers new house. The thermal store is upstairs in the hot press and the wood burner downstairs. This house however has...
Replies
Views
Crowbar259
C
M
Hi, currently have a multi-fuel wood burner although pretty much condemned. Chimney got swept today and guy says perfect condition, concrete lined. I'm looking to replace the stove only. The sweep said I should replace it with similar output (kw), although with the flue exiting the top...
Replies
Views
Mrlazy81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock