Search the forum,

Discuss Salus Wireless thermostat issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - hoping someone can help with a what I think is a simple question!

I have a Salus wireless thermostat connected to an Ariston combi boiler (a very old, but functioning, boiler...). The boiler is working fine for hot water, but the thermostat isn't working - the wireless receiver and the control unit will pair fine, and the control unit will send a command for heat, and the receiver recieves it, but at that point the receiver then makes a repeated flicking/switching sound (like you'd normally get once when it's turning the heating on). I suspect the relay in the reciever has died.

We'll replace the boiler when replacing the kitchen next year, so I just need a quick fix. The boiler has a time clock on the front which I could happily live with instead of a thermostat for one winter (we have new-ish TRVs on the rads).

My question - can I just take the non-functioning thermostat out of the system? I'm assuming I just need to disconnect the two cables from the connector block they join in the boiler, and put in a loop across the connector block so that there's effectively no thermostat in the circuit. Is that right? The timer clock is ticking away happily so I assume it's still connected to the boiler PCB.

I'd get someone more qualified to look at it if it were complicated, but I'm perfectly happy to doing bits of wiring and this seems pretty straightforward.....?

Any advice gratefully received.

You can just link the wires at the receiver end and it should bypass it.

Thanks a lot. Could I do it at the boiler end too? Just because I have the front of the boiler open but don't have the receiver off the wall..... But if it's better done at the receiver end I could do that.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot. Could I just do it at the boiler end too? Only as I have the front panel of the boiler open and don't have the receiver off the wall.... and I guess if I do it at the boiler end there's zero chance of me accidentally putting 230V through the PCB....

But if it's better to do it at the receiver end, can do that.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot. Could I just do it at the boiler end too? Only as I have the front panel of the boiler open and don't have the receiver off the wall.... and I guess if I do it at the boiler end there's zero chance of me accidentally putting 230V through the PCB....

But if it's better to do it at the receiver end, can do that.

Thanks again.
Yes you can, I only said the receiver end because some boilers when you remove the cover - it’s part of the combustion circuit and requires critical safety checks afterwards and I’m not sure if this applies to your boiler. Plus if you are doing it receiver end you’re only linking the existing wires which switch boiler end, so should be no risk of getting it wrong 😉

Thanks for the advice. Have removed the receiver from the mains altogether and just put the live and switched live connections to the boiler into the same terminal on the receiver back box ... all working ok. Need to get a new thermostat (and probably boiler) at some point but heating restored for now. Thanks!

Reply to Salus Wireless thermostat issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock