Search the forum,

Discuss Willis Immersion issue - no hot water getting to main tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Replaced a Willis (Belfast) immersion heating in an open vent heating system. Willis is working ok but flow of heated water see wrong and does not generate a lot of hot water.

Symptoms are (See diagram):

1. Flow from hot tapes fine (no air locks).
  2. Tank heats up using house oil indirect heating system ok therefore no locks in tank.
  3. When immersion turned on heated water going to pipes in red, i.e. away from the main tank, only hot water in pipes leading to house hot water tap. Does not generate lots of hot water in volume.

Noticed there is a slight incline from the pipe connected emersion to pipe leading to tanks (marked as A in diagram). Possibly caused by new immersion being slightly shorter than original. May be cause but not certain.

Anyone any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• heating immersion.jpg
    heating immersion.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 33
It is piped wrong. The pipe from top of Willis heater must come off the cylinder vent pipe, usually to be teed off about 800mm or higher typically in my opinion above level of top of copper cylinder (although can work okay at lower levels).
The flow pipe should rise including to have a continual slight rise on any horizontal run towards the cylinder vent tee off.
The return connection to bottom of copper cylinder should ideally only have independent direct connection - often using the 1/2” (drain off) tapping.
Remember Willis heaters must have good gravity flow to keep their thermostats from cutting out too quickly and thus resulting in slow heat up.
Brilliant wee heaters and should give rapid heat up of useable fully heated water in a mere 2 or 3 minutes if piped correct

Last edited:
See if the immersion stat is cutting out rapidly (watch power somewhere, if you cannot hear it) which as indicated above means poor/no circulation, otherwise you may have "excessive" circulation resulting in very low deltaT (unlikely), and presume the element is actually powering up.

Replaced a Willis (Belfast) immersion heating in an open vent heating system. Willis is working ok but flow of heated water see wrong and does not generate a lot of hot water.

Symptoms are (See diagram):

1. Flow from hot tapes fine (no air locks).
  2. Tank heats up using house oil indirect heating system ok therefore no locks in tank.
  3. When immersion turned on heated water going to pipes in red, i.e. away from the main tank, only hot water in pipes leading to house hot water tap. Does not generate lots of hot water in volume.

Noticed there is a slight incline from the pipe connected emersion to pipe leading to tanks (marked as A in diagram). Possibly caused by new immersion being slightly shorter than original. May be cause but not certain.

Anyone any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)
It's essentially a instant water heater so would take the same time as a 3kw? internal immersion to heat the whole cylinder, say ~ 2.5 hrs to heat 150 litres from 15C to 60C, it should continuously supply ~ 1 LPM for the same temperature rise so give a volume of 10 Litres after 10 minutes. By my rough calculations the pipe dia from the outlet should be as small as 10mm ID to give you this sort of temperature rise.

Would have been good to see a photo of how the Willis heater is piped.
But I suggest the flow pipe from Willis is connected into cylinder vent high above top of cylinder, as I previously mentioned and that the horizontal hot pipe from top of cylinder is repiped so it has no dip in it, rising a tad to the tee off for vent.
I come across a lot of Willis heaters often installed for many years that are connected lazily just above cylinder to horizontal draw off and the Willis is abysmally slow at heating. I repipe them, typically when replacing cylinders and customers are surprised to find their heater now very rapid and continuous heat up.

It's essentially a instant water heater so would take the same time as a 3kw? internal immersion to heat the whole cylinder, say ~ 2.5 hrs to heat 150 litres from 15C to 60C, it should continuously supply ~ 1 LPM for the same temperature rise so give a volume of 10 Litres after 10 minutes. By my rough calculations the pipe dia from the outlet should be as small as 10mm ID to give you this sort of temperature rise.
Only get after 10 minutes 3L :(

Here is some images. Little room up top. Image 2 and 3 show lower inlets one into large tank and one into willis.

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_161540549.jpg
    IMG_20210405_161540549.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210405_161610750.jpg
    IMG_20210405_161610750.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210405_161646774.jpg
    IMG_20210405_161646774.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210405_161711453.jpg
    IMG_20210405_161711453.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210405_161722338.jpg
    IMG_20210405_161722338.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 24
Would have been good to see a photo of how the Willis heater is piped.
But I suggest the flow pipe from Willis is connected into cylinder vent high above top of cylinder, as I previously mentioned and that the horizontal hot pipe from top of cylinder is repiped so it has no dip in it, rising a tad to the tee off for vent.
I come across a lot of Willis heaters often installed for many years that are connected lazily just above cylinder to horizontal draw off and the Willis is abysmally slow at heating. I repipe them, typically when replacing cylinders and customers are surprised to find their heater now very rapid and continuous heat up.
Posted pictures :)

Wow! That’s very poor!
Probably just lack of good gravity circulation causing heater to heat just the water inside itself & switch off on stat.
Repipe it all and check stat
Restricted head room above is an issue. Will have to re-pipe outlet from Willis into ceiling to get
Wow! That’s very poor!
Probably just lack of good gravity circulation causing heater to heat just the water inside itself & switch off on stat.
Repipe it all and check stat
Would I be best to connect the Willis high up the expansion feed (Pic 1 yellow area) or new pipe route feeding into top of large tank (Pic 1 red area). Or completely redo everything like in diagram flipped so willis on left:

Attachments

• alterations.jpg
    alterations.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 21
  • willis fliped.jpg
    willis fliped.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 24
Posted pictures :)
Old cylinder and fittings look like they need scrapped. 😄
Repipe the flow from Willis - offset pipe to suit clip distance on left wall & bend near 90 degree bend on pipe at least 60 or 80 cm above cylinder (I usually try to have tee off below shelf level). Clip horizontal run as well, because weight of Willis will need supported.
Is that in NI ?

I guess you could try yellow area to tee off. Brass tee maybe safer than soldering there. 😄
Just really needs that short rise up to get immersion circulation.

Old cylinder and fittings look like they need scrapped. 😄
Repipe the flow from Willis - offset pipe to suit clip distance on left wall & bend near 90 degree bend on pipe at least 60 or 80 cm above cylinder (I usually try to have tee off below shelf level). Clip horizontal run as well, because weight of Willis will need supported.
Is that in NI ?
Yes in NI :)

I guess you could try yellow area to tee off. Brass tee maybe safer than soldering there. 😄
Just really needs that short rise up to get immersion circulation.
OK thanks :) Will give it a go. Going to be hard to get to :(

Just after a quick fix at moment. Will think about replacing tank maybe later on as a bit expensive at the moment :)

We do not have hard water in are area so hopefully tank not that bad at moment.

Last edited:
No, the vent normally comes straight off the very top of the cylinder and goes up and is bent over the CWST. The pipe you refer to is properly called the feed & expansion pipe, having no vent will certainly affect the proper circulation IMO.

Reply to Willis Immersion issue - no hot water getting to main tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock