Search the forum,

Discuss Will this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys,

im doing some work in a loft conversion soon, just moving the tank and cylinder about 5 foot to one side of the loft, easy enough.

but the customer is considering having a basin in the loft at the other end (its about 15-20 foot wide), my worry is that if i install the sink in the loft will the hot water still come out? the tank will be approximately 3 foot higher than the basin but i remember in college we touched on a subject called hydraulic head pressure, well i think that was what it was called,

anyway being as water keeps at the same level will there be any problems with having the hot water coming from the cylinder to the basin? i cant see any major reasons why it wouldnt other than head pressure is gonna be low, anything else that might be a problem?

cheers J.

P.s i did ask the customer to consider an instant hot water device but she is on a very tight budget and wont have anything like this installed so its the cylinder or nothing.

hi guys,

im doing some work in a loft conversion soon, just moving the tank and cylinder about 5 foot to one side of the loft, easy enough.

but the customer is considering having a basin in the loft at the other end (its about 15-20 foot wide), my worry is that if i install the sink in the loft will the hot water still come out? the tank will be approximately 3 foot higher than the basin but i remember in college we touched on a subject called hydraulic head pressure, well i think that was what it was called,

anyway being as water keeps at the same level will there be any problems with having the hot water coming from the cylinder to the basin? i cant see any major reasons why it wouldnt other than head pressure is gonna be low, anything else that might be a problem?

cheers J.

P.s i did ask the customer to consider an instant hot water device but she is on a very tight budget and wont have anything like this installed so its the cylinder or nothing.
yes it will work as you say preasure will be low id put it in writing save a dispute after

Cheers Steve the plumber,

just thought i would double check. didnt wanna go and install it and then find it didnt work properly lol, how embarrasing (ive done that before now)

Obseen had a similar problem a while ago, very low head/height differential re:basin height and HWC/CWC height. Problem made worse by the fact the client bought some very heavy Georgian style taps and the weight of the Capstan head on the hot tap of the basin was such that it prevented the works opening under the pressure available (Bath was ok as it was that bit lower so head was sufficient). I explained all this to the lady client who very, very unhappy about the situation, I even swapped the taps round to show her there was nothing wrong with the taps, but she was still irate, demanding to know what I was going to do about it. I offered to relocate the CWS into the loft to give better head, but she refused to pay for that, when I explained that I neither chose, specified or supplied the taps, and suggested that as she did she could try and get either spring loaded taps/jumpers or quarter turn ceramics she went a bit daft and seemed a bit unstable, anyway left things as they were and went back the following day. Lucky for me that when the CWS was full to the brim (I straightened the brass rod on the ballcock to give every mm of head I could get) the basin hot tap did just about open. Client must have had her happy pills and all was well. Another lesson learnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Will this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock