Search the forum,

Discuss Will reducing pressure by using a device's valve hurt it over time? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

IMG_20191010_161907.png

I have this valve. I can reduce the pressure by turning it half way closed. Will that hurt the valve over the long run? Thank you.

Closing that valve x amount will increase the pressure as it’s going through a smaller dia

Won't it increase the pressure at the valve, but reduce it on the next components?

Correct will increase the pressure on and after the valve outlet

To reduce the stress on the toilet components.

Aren't pressure and speed the same?
No because you could have pressure without any water movement at all. People frequently confuse pressure and flow and whilst they are interrelated they are not the same thing.

That vast majority of the time when people say pressure they really should be saying flow rate.

View attachment 40795
I have this valve. I can reduce the pressure by turning it half way closed. Will that hurt the valve over the long run? Thank you.
The relationship between pressure and volume regards liquids is often mis.understood
If you feel your water pressure is too high ...rare..there are many devices that will regulate
the pressure there are loads of cheap ones ...the Honeywell Do4s is the best on the market. I use it all the time...now about 5000 per year its also the most expensive. but hey

Regulating volume is a lot easier it will depend on your domestic requirements
centralheatking

A better solution is add a flow restrictor in the fitting don't leave the isolating valve 1/2 open it will become siezed and when you need it to shut off it won't . Kop
A partially open isolator might also, depending on the details of the case, generate turbulence which is both noisy and may eventually lead to premature failure the pipework.

Reply to Will reducing pressure by using a device's valve hurt it over time? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock