Search the forum,

Discuss Will an external thermostat allow me to set two different temperature for water/heating? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

ade

Hello team,

first of all, I apologise if this isn't the right section of the forum to ask, if so, please dear moderator, move the thread!

I am here to ask help as I just moved in a new house where I have a boiler that doesn't allow me to specify the temperature for water or for the heating but that's unique. This means that in order to have the radiators very hot I need to have boiling water from the sink.

My boiler model is:

Worcester bosch greenstar 28i junior

To save some £ I will soon buy an external thermostat (Netatmo) and wifi valves, but I was wondering, since I will then chose the temperature using the thermostat, will the water temperature follow what I manually chose the boiler to (1,2,3,4 etc)?

So, will having an external thermostat fix the issue and make me able to have two different temperature for water/heating?

Many thanks!

Hi, thank you for your reply,
Can you please elaborate a little bit? How the boiler will understand to what temperature the water is supposed to be heated?

Why can you not adjust the boiler water temperature of the WB 28i Greenstar Junior with the knob on the bottom left hand side?
If I reduce it to have just the water from the sink warm enough but not extremely hot, then the radiators are not hot at all but just like lukewarm

If I reduce it to have just the water from the sink warm enough but not extremely hot, then the radiators are not hot at all but just like lukewarm

do you have two controls dials or one ? (On the boiler)

Just one unfortunately

thought so

hot water is pre set and you can’t change it

may I ask why you need the hot water temp lower ?

thought so

hot water is pre set and you can’t change it

may I ask why you need the hot water temp lower ?
I don't have mixers in all the sinks and trying to mix the water is always a matter of moving the cold tap by mm. Also I guess (but I am not a plumber nor an expert) that reducing the temperature will cost less in the long run as the boiler doesn't have to work much to go to the right temperature? Anyway, mainly my request is there as if I open the tap too much on the hot side, you can seriously get burned.

So as recap, once I install the smart thermostat and so I can change the radiators temperature from there, will the boiler use that control dial only for the water temperature?

Sounds like it’s a tap issue and not a boiler issue tbh

No that dial is for the boiler temp so will effect both

Sounds like it’s a tap issue and not a boiler issue tbh

No that dial is for the boiler temp so will effect both
So, if I understood properly, if I set the temperature of the boiler to go to 20 degrees (for example), I can't have the radiators to go to 25 degrees even if I am using a smart thermostat?

On your boiler, the boiler water temperature is user adjustable and the domestic hot water temperature is factory set at 55 degrees.

If the boiler is serviced and operating properly, turning down the boiler water temperature should not affect the domestic hot water temperature (well that is the case on later models - a DHW call overrides the boiler water temperature setting) If it does, the boiler needs servicing.

It you want the domestic hot water temperature setting at a lower temperature than 55 degrees ask your service engineer to reduce it for you. I think it can be reduced to around 45 degrees

Last edited:
The thermostat controls room temperature and not boiler temperature

so boiler will heat the 65dc water until the room temperature has gotten to set eg 20 then the boiler will turn off until the room temp drops below set eg 20 there will be some tolerance so might come on at 18dc etc
[automerge]1604956662[/automerge]
On your boiler, the boiler water temperature is user adjustable and the domestic hot water temperature is factory set at 55 degrees.

If the boiler is serviced and operating properly, turning down the boiler water temperature should mot affect the domestic hot water temperature. If it does, the boiler needs servicing.

It you want the domestic hot water temperature setting at a lower temperature than 55 degrees ask your service engineer to reduce it for you.

not on the first gen junior

Because it only has one dial for the boiler temp,

should be right hand side of the flap where the hinge is should read junior or si both the same boiler

Is it a combi boiler or system boiler (with hot water tank) as the combi has a flow restrictor for the hot water which is dependant of model power output.
If you have a mono mixer tap just turn on cold tap enough to reduce the temp as the boiler should modulate power up/down to attain max temp for given flow.
If you have x2 taps (H&C) then it's back to the old way where you have to use common sense and run into sink basin to get temp reqd or failing that upgrade your taps or fit a TMV on the hot to restrict hot water temp.
Is boiler is old and/or has not been serviced much there may be other underlying issues but a good gas engineer will be able to sort,
Cheers,
Andy

Reply to Will an external thermostat allow me to set two different temperature for water/heating? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock