Search the forum,

Discuss Why would closing the tub valve cause the shower to stop? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

E

Ed Dorrington

Hello,

I have an odd plumbing issue that I would like advice on. This is a new house construction, single story, with one bathroom. Hot water is provided by an instant-on heater. The water, both hot and cold, works fine in the kitchen and the bathroom sink. However, the tub/shower is acting very strangely.

If you turn on the water (either hot, cold, or a mix) and have the tub valve open, water comes out of both the tub faucet and the shower. If you close the tub valve, the water, of course, stops coming out of the tub faucet, but it also stops coming from the shower, instead of getting stronger. To be clear, it slows to an occasional drip from the shower, rather than stopping completely.

If, instead of closing the tub valve completely, you slowly close it part way, as expected, the shower gets stronger and stronger, up to the point where the valve is, say, about 75% closed, then it gets weaker and weaker, until it virtually stops when the valve is closed.

I live on a mountain top, and I don't know what the water pressure is here, though I don't think it's particularly high. Is this something that could be caused by low water pressure? Also, FYI, the flow from the kitchen and bathroom sink is about 2.1gpm cold and about 1.75gpm hot.

Thanks for any advice you have for this puzzling issue.

Ooh what mountain do you live at the top of?

Reply to Why would closing the tub valve cause the shower to stop? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock