Search the forum,

Discuss Why would a service engineer drill a hole in flue to check emissions? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

This is the background. I noticed a smell of oil in a small enuite that adjoins my boiler house and went out to boiler house and oil tank to have a look. I could not find any odours of oil anywhere so assumed it had come in window, ie you can get a smell of oil from tank, near the outlet pipe and filter. But I had good look at boiler and noticed a hole drilled in the flue and when it was serviced in July this year I did see the service guy have a probe plugged in. I assumed at the time that hole was there specifically to allow that but when checking today I noticed that a piece of silver tape had been stuck on the flue and the hole looked recent.

I got back to him but he wont admit drilling hole but did say he used it for flue reading. He then said I think the last guy had but there was no last guy as I serviced it myself since 2007 and only got this guy out in Spetember 2019 ie the same guy as serviced it this July. This is it. Boiler is a Grant Vortex. Is this safe and why drill a hole should it not have an easier method to measure emissions?
IMG_9768.jpg

See it on many an old boiler flue. Bit silver heat proof tape and jobs a good one. Never drilled one myself but utilised many and taped over.

It's a common practice. Holes and foil tape.
See it day in day out.
I don't know why he didn't use the sample point as you would if there was one installed and it opens OK.
Normally see the hole/tape idea on boilers without a manufacturers effort. Most drill holes I see are in commercial premises.

As SimonG says all very normal drilled more than I care to think about back in the day used to be able to get a stainless steel plug that neatly closed them up.

Now those were the days. Still got my wet kit, somewhere.
Still use the pump before upsetting my dainty analyser, just to check the smoke won't make it cough you know.
Have you seen the price of them now?
The one I use was my Granddads originally. It was part of the old draeger kit. Still got that too although the rubbers look like porridge.

Reply to Why would a service engineer drill a hole in flue to check emissions? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
I recently had a gas safety certificate check done by and my Vaillant Ecotec Pro24 boiler serviced/checked. However a month later and after taking a meter reading it showed that the amount used had nearly quadrupled since the previous month with no change in usage. Hot water is only set at 50...
Replies
Views
Hello there Quick question: I have installed a new boiler today. The engineer is foing ro back tomorrow. The boiler is in the conservatory mounted on the wall. The flue pipes exit from top of the boiler through a round hole to outside the house. There is a big gap around the hole and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock