Search the forum,

Discuss Why is this pipe facing downwards? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm not a plumber but looking for some advice. I have an old house, which has been added to and refurbished many times over many years by many different contractors. The other day, when trying to find something in an area I never go into I noticed a "musty" smell. I traced it to a "cast iron" pipe that was coming from outside at an angle downwards and terminated in a lead pipe (1.5 inches) that had been stuffed with paper and hammered together (poorly). There was a dampness at the end of the lead pipe. I traced the pipe outside to a cast iron stack that has nothing else connected to it. I assume it was used at some point in the past. I attach an image which I hope will explain what I've found. I filled the end of the badly hammered down lead pipe with expanding foam and siliconed it to death. Can anyone explain what this pipe may have been in the past?
pipe_facing_down.jpg

Hi
its a vent pipe. Old lee drainage was done like this. It’s not needed these days.
your plumber either should have reconnected it into the internal soil pipe, or cut it out right back to the soil pipe.
it will fill with water and leak without doing one of the above.

Hi
its a vent pipe. Old lee drainage was done like this. It’s not needed these days.
your plumber either should have reconnected it into the internal soil pipe, or cut it out right back to the soil pipe.
it will fill with water and leak without doing one of the above.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll arrange for it to be cut off at the stack outside. In the meantime, I presume blocking the lead pipe with foam and silicone will do no harm?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll arrange for it to be cut off at the stack outside. In the meantime, I presume blocking the lead pipe with foam and silicone will do no harm?
Hi Grumpy, I like your post, before you go ahead can you put up a sketch plan in elevation of this set up. I think I understand it but I would like more detail before I advise you and you go ahead
centralheatking

Ok I have it now, I would detach the naughty pipe as close to the soil stack as possible, even just cut it
then just bung it up with anything thats fits ...cork, rubber .bungs will do others on PF will also have their suggestions ...this is how we all co..operate ...centralheatking

Reply to Why is this pipe facing downwards? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock