Search the forum,

Discuss Why is the pressure on my boiler fluctuating so much? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Apologies in advance for the long explanation..
This morning, my boiler's pressure had dropped to 2 PSI, so I added water until it was sitting at 12 PSI (which it should be at). I checked on it again around 9 pm and it was sitting at 35 PSI!!! The relief valve had not blown. I drained a bunch of water out until it was at 15 PSI and not 20 minutes later, it was already up to 18 PSI.
What could be causing it to fluctuate so much? Water can't be entering the system since it will randomly lose a bunch of pressure and I then have to manually add water.
My next step is obviously to call a professional.. but I thought I would see if anyone has any idea as to what's going on.
Could it be caused by my expansion tank being full of water?
Some background info..
Boiler & house are about 100 years old. Very old system. Expansion tank is strapped to the ceiling and is an older style tank.
I'm afraid to leave the heat on over night at this point in case the pressure skyrockets again but it's -25°C tonight so not sure that's a good idea either.

If you check the air end of the E.vessel and water comes out then the diaphragm has failed.
If not, you need the system drained or at the very least no pressure at the boiler (if the E.vessel is located above it) and then check the pressure at the air end, it should be ~ 10/12 psi, then re pressurise the water side to 14/16 psi and shut off the filling valve. If the pressure still rises to 35 psi then the the E.vessel is borderline/too small for the system. The relief valve may have a set pressure of ~ 43/44 psi (3.0 bar). Also check the air end pressure when the system is hot as this should then read the same as the boiler pressure after making any allowance for any difference in the elevations of the pressure gauges. This will ensure that there is no blockage in the pipe from the E.vessel to the system, (ideally this pipe should be removed to check for any restrictions)

Last edited:
Expansion vessel has gone / needs checking the old type that’s fixed to the ceiling isn’t the best maybe better off getting it replaced

Reply to Why is the pressure on my boiler fluctuating so much? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
Hi all, My pressure is stable at 1.5 when the boiler is off, but if I switch it on, the pressure rises as expected, but once switched off it will only drop back down to 1.6. This happens exach time the heating is switched on so eventually it gradually rises to above 2 bar and I have to drain...
Replies
Views
Damo666
D
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock