Search the forum,

Discuss Why is my Vitocell 200 boiler and Joules cyclone cylinder making whining noise? in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve had a Viessmann ASHP fitted. Fan noise outside is v low- we do not notice it. Inside though, the joules cyclone unvented cylinder seems to be making a constant whine. At first I thought it was the Vitocal 200 boiler beside it but I am pretty sure it is the tank? It is all new ( April) and appears to work fine, but the noise is driving us mad. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing it? It feeds underfloor heating down stairs and rads upstairs. 3 Bed semi, low water use. Tank is 250 lt I think. Thanks

Is it constant or only when heaing, drawing off water?

Any chance of a few pictures of the system eg tank etc

Sorry to be pedantic, is your set up a Vitocal 200 ASHP feeding a Vitocell cylinder ( you mention Vitocell in your heading, or did you mean Vitocal?) and is the noise consistent and constant at all times or only when the pump in the Vitocal indoor unit is running?

If it is the former, I would get your installer back to investigate, I would guess it is cylinder set up / installation related.

If it is the latter, ie. only whining whilst the indoor pump of the Vitocal is running, it is possibly the three way valve (under the pump) that has not fully located into position. if you set the Unit ( if it is a M-E-AC) into cooling mode, the valve will move across its full range. Then, after 10 mins put the unit back into heating mode and the valve will reposition (and hopefully correctly seat) itself. If it is the M model switch it off for at least an hour then repower the unit. During the repowering / set up phase it will movevthe valve across its full length of travel.

Having said all that, if you have a Viessmann Vitocal ASHP feeding a Vitocell cylinder (or indeed any other manufacturers cylinder), I would contact Viessmann and raise the matter as a warranty issue. The Vitocal is sold on the basis of it’s very low external noise profile - but most people would also expect the internal unit to offer the same level of non intrusive noise. I have only fitted one Vitocal (a high temperature 300), which was fine, but noisy (the external unit) as most high temperature units are. However, I believe that a very low humming noise from the three way valve not seating correctly on the low temperature units ( the 200 and 222 series) has been an issue on some units.

Last edited:
Is it constant or only when heaing, drawing off water?
It is certainly whining when heating and pumps showing it is sending to underfloor and rads, but it also does it when neither pump is on for rads or floor heating, so I’m guessing it is heating the water in the tank at that time.
[automerge]1578598098[/automerge]
Sorry to be pedantic, is your set up a Vitocal 200 ASHP feeding a Vitocell cylinder ( you mention Vitocell in your heading, or did you mean Vitocal?) and is the noise consistent and constant at all times or only when the pump in the Vitocal indoor unit is running?

If it is the former, I would get your installer back to investigate, I would guess it is cylinder set up / installation related.

If it is the latter, ie. only whining whilst the indoor pump of the Vitocal is running, it is possibly the three way valve (under the pump) that has not fully located into position. if you set the Unit ( if it is a M-E-AC) into cooling mode, the valve will move across its full range. Then, after 10 mins put the unit back into heating mode and the valve will reposition (and hopefully correctly seat) itself. If it is the M model switch it off for at least an hour then repower the unit. During the repowering / set up phase it will movevthe valve across its full length of travel.

Having said all that, if you have a Viessmann Vitocal ASHP feeding a Vitocell cylinder (or indeed any other manufacturers cylinder), I would contact Viessmann and raise the matter as a warranty issue. The Vitocal is sold on the basis of it’s very low external noise profile - but most people would also expect the internal unit to offer the same level of non intrusive noise. I have only fitted one Vitocal (a high temperature 300), which was fine, but noisy (the external unit) as most high temperature units are. However, I believe that a very low humming noise from the three way valve not seating correctly on the low temperature units ( the 200 and 222 series) has been an issue on some units.
It is
[automerge]1578598576[/automerge]

It is a Vitocal 200 ASHP feeding a Joules Cyclone 290lt cylinder. It is only when the Vitocal indoor unit is working. I’m not sure what an M-E-AC unit means/is, but i really hope it could be a simple fix as you suggest. I didn’t know i could move it into a cooling mode- not sure how to do that but will look through the manual again. I need to learn more about how this works, having lived with gas until now! Thanks

Last edited:
The M-E-AC model is heating and cooling, the M model is heating only. The data badge will clarify which model you have.

Personally, I would involve Veissmann under the guise of a warranty claim - they are quite good and very responsive.

Reply to Why is my Vitocell 200 boiler and Joules cyclone cylinder making whining noise? in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock