Search the forum,

Discuss Why is my carpet wet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tweebs1

Hello all,

My partner and I just moved into a conversion flat on the top (2nd) floor of a house built around 1900. This morning around the time when the heating came on we heard a dripping sound come from the ceiling above the bedroom. We had a poke about in the loft, but there didn't seem to be any water up there, and no signs of damp on the ceiling itself. I also noticed a wet patch on the carpet in the bedroom - but again, no visible water dripping from the ceiling onto the carpet and not even any signs of damp on the ceiling above the wet patch.

In a possibly unrelated matter (but thought I'd mention just in case) the toilet keeps trickling water for a really long time (hours) after being flushed. Now, I imagine the drip sound is just the creaking of the pipes and/or timbers, the wet patch is just condensation and the toilet issue is just a damaged flapper, but I'm still concerned it could be something more serious. Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers,

Pat

either inspect more under, around and above the wet patch then reply here if you find a leak or get a plumber in only way we can help without being there really as for your toilet most likely the ball valve has failed as is going through the over flow but get a plumber in to have a look, could take them no time at all to fix these problems, and if you have a combi and its a heating pipe leaking you wont have heat for much longer when the pressure drops

Hello Pat and welcome to the forum.
It's a bit of a difficult question without being able to see.
is this a one off?
could it be a spilled drink, a cat that doesn't want to venture out into the snow??
is the wet patch close to a radiator, could that be the problem?
best to keep an eye on it until you know what the cause is, then a solution is possible.

Hello Pat and welcome to the forum.
It's a bit of a difficult question without being able to see.
is this a one off?
could it be a spilled drink, a cat that doesn't want to venture out into the snow??
is the wet patch close to a radiator, could that be the problem?
best to keep an eye on it until you know what the cause is, then a solution is possible.
been there lol saw water on a kitchen floor and felt to see where it had come from to see a small yorkie in the corner looking at me - yes it had and i had touched and knelt in it

Thanks to all for the replies! I'll have a another good look around the damp area and ceiling and will keep an eye on it today and tomorrow. Partner is off on Wednesday so can get a plumber in then if not resolved...

remember water travels quiten well if you can get into loft lift the insulation and check around the patch

Hi, Tweebs1. Try removing cistern lid and check how high the water level is. Usually there is a mark inside to show the normal level. If it is higher than it should be it can spill discreetly down the back of the cistern or out of a spindle hole etc

is there a extractor fan above damp patch on carpet. i have seen before water drip from these as the steam from showers etc is drawn in then where the loft space is so could it turns back to water in the pipework and prips out.

If water is trickling in the toilet for hours, then for some reason the valve in the cistern is not cutting off the supply, and if the cistern is fed by a tank in the loft, that could explain the sound of water running/ dripping up there.

If water is running into toilet it must be running out somewhere, i.e. through an overflow pipe, or out through the main pan waste pipe.

Checking the route of any overflow should rule out any connection with wet carpet.

If possible, lift the carpet and check underneath for water coming from below.

Could the wet patch be the result of something having been brought in covered in snow, or from melted ice?

are u shure youve not been out on the tiles and forgot where the toilet is lol

Most of my customers floors r wet when I'm workin hehe

Wet floor signs

Will the mystery of the wet patch on the carpet ever be solved?

Who done it?

Was it the butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why is my carpet wet? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it. There's an in-ceiling speaker where water was dripping from, and there were slower drips coming from a...
Replies
Views
Hi, we've just had someone round to fit lino in our toilet. He ripped up the old lino only to reveal a large wet patch around the toilet (see photo). The floor is damp to touch and I'm left wondering what could be the cause of this? Given the shape of the damp patch, would it likely be a leaking...
Replies
Views
I have a growing damp patch on my ceiling, I initially assumed it must be from the empty flat above (and therefore cannot gain access), and have since used emergency cut off for that flat. I'm now wondering if it could a problem in my own flat, so cut a hole in the damp patch to investigate -...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock