Search the forum,

Discuss why is it so hard in finding a company to work with? in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I have recently completed a Level 2 Diploma in plumbing and heating (London). I have been applying to many companies but without any luck. What are my doing wrong? I even tried British Gas and Thames water but no luck. I emailed alot of plumbing businesses in North London but no luck. Please help, what are my doing wrong?

Are you a woman? I'd have thought companies would be more keen to take on female plumbers.
It's difficult to find that first job, as a newly qualified plumber your a big liability.
I'm sure something will come up and you'll be able to prove yourself. Keep your chin up and keep at it!

Have they given a reason for rejection? Lots of companies might just be trying to cut back on employment, I know ours is. Have you tried a local council or housing association?

It could be because you have qualifications but no experience?
An apprenticeship is a better route in my opinion, although that helps you none.

Have you applied as a Plumber?
Have you thought of applying as a Plumbers mate?
How old are you (if you don't mind saying)?
You might be better off looking for a job that is linked and working toward it.

Everybody's busy, well they are round my way, and nobody wants slowing down.
Unfortunately you would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Keep at it though, get down to merchants and speak to people face to face.

IME, in order of decreasing effectiveness, if you want someone to do something for you:

1. Face to face meeting
2. Telephone conversation (at a convenient time for them)
3. Letter
4. Email.

Also the diploma (vs the NVQ) shows no evidence of site experience. I have the NVQ2 and most people in my year at my college were excellent. I also know how little you actually need to know to be able to pass and that you can literally keep trying until you do pass so it's impossible to fail. You can practically pass the rainwater section just by knowing that the final support should be within 150mm of the the end of the gutter.

You may have the right attitude and experience and your work may be second to none. Just don't rely on the diploma as sole proof of this (although the fact you bothered to take the course at all shows you are keen).

Based on some assumptions, this might be the harsh truth of it:

1 - You have no experience
2 - Your Diploam is not desirable to employers without experience to go with it
3 - You are over 21 and probably want to be paid a reasonable wage
4 - Any company can take on a 16 / 17 year old apprentice with similar low experience and pay them £4.30 an hour

If on the other hand Im wrong and you have been working in the industry for a couple of years, then ignore all of the above.

Reply to why is it so hard in finding a company to work with? in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock