Search the forum,

Discuss Why does the valve have two pressure relief nipples? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

20200825_110738.jpg

Any ideas why the pressure relief valve on my water heater has two outlets? Is one inflow and one outflow?

I don't recognise that particular model, but it's not unusual for pressure-relief systems to have two stages. The first lower pressure one reseals after a low risk event. The second, higher pressure one is a 'burst-disc' that won't close after it's operated. This is just a guess, however, the OP will need to look at the manufacturer's specs to get a reliable answer.

What is the flexible hose connected to the other end?
It’s the infeed from the local supply.
[automerge]1601298538[/automerge]
I don't recognise that particular model, but it's not unusual for pressure-relief systems to have two stages. The first lower pressure one reseals after a low risk event. The second, higher pressure one is a 'burst-disc' that won't close after it's operated. This is just a guess, however, the OP will need to look at the manufacturer's specs to get a reliable answer.
Thanks, I can’t find a manufacturer on the valve. Having turned the mains water pressure down, it’s stopped dripping from the right and the left outlet only drips when it’s over temperature or we‘re drawing hot water from it for a prolonged period (i.e. running the shower).

Relief valves are the devices that respond to both excessive pressures and to excessive temperatures in a water heater. These are abnormal and potentially dangerous conditions. I think to cop up with this excess condition the two valved pressure release are given there.

Thanks, I can’t find a manufacturer on the valve. Having turned the mains water pressure down, it’s stopped dripping from the right and the left outlet only drips when it’s over temperature or we‘re drawing hot water from it for a prolonged period (i.e. running the shower).
Hmm. Check the instructions for the water heater, the valve probably came with it. To be honest, the valve shouldn't be dripping under normal usage so it needs investigating. Contact the water heater manufacturer for a list of local approved repairers.

Ultimately, if it's faulty and you can't find someone qualified to repair it you'll need to get the water heater replaced. Go for a big name brand with a proper service network and customer support for this one! It'll cost a few quid but will be cheaper than a flood.

Reply to Why does the valve have two pressure relief nipples? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock