Search the forum,

Discuss Why does my HW come on with CH even when switched off! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Our Potterton EP2 was old and the sliders for HW/CH were loose. We couldn't get CH without the HW on! So I put a new digital EP2 on. It fit over the old backplate : no wiring required! What I found then was that if I put HW on with the slider then fine - digital display come on "Hot Water" and one red light comes on. If however I put CH "on" with slider it immediately switches both red lights including for HW as well (even though slider for HW is off) but only the digital display for "Heating" comes on. We get loads of HW with CH until HW gets so hot stat switches both off!!. I've tried everything : put new backplate on programmer / new Drayton mid point value / new actuator : still the same. Checked the wiring to the chart that came with the Drayton : its correct. Checked the cylinder tank stat : correct. At a complete loss. Beginning to wonder if a fault with the Potterton itself why would the red light and the digital display be internally inconsistent???!

Sounds like the potterton could be set to a gravity hot water system. Have a look on the back for the setting.
Thank you so much I reset to pumped and its fixed it!!I assumed that because water to feed the copper cylinder came from a header tank it was gravity but of course thereafter it is pumped. Wish I'd gone on this forum before I replaced everything! Note for interest : Screwfix/Toolstation : drayton 3 way valve plus actuator : ÂŁ62 actuator on its own : ÂŁ82!!

Reply to Why does my HW come on with CH even when switched off! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, would appreciate any thoughts on the below. I have an almost 10yr old Ferroli Modena 32S HE system boiler. (I am aware of their reputation! ) 2 weeks ago HW went lukewarm. When HW was called, the rads came on. The cylinder motorised valve has been replaced today, but it's not fixed the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a NEST with Viessmann system boiler with unvented cylinder. I have a mid position and two position valve I thought the mid position valve was faulty as it was not switching off I got new actuator - the right one (40003916-003/U) . The manuals do make a reference to v4073a1039...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock