Search the forum,

Discuss Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I have a question regarding my heating setup, I moved in 5 years ago and since replaced boiler and added 3 nest controls. I have a system boiler with water cylinder and have three nest thermostats, one controls and turns on the boiler for downstairs apart from the conservatory where I have another nest , that only works when the downstairs heating is on and I can see a valve for that near the boiler.

my issue is upstairs, I can only heat upstairs with downstairs being on, I have to have downstairs turned on , if I operate the upstairs nest thermosta it doesn’t switch the boiler on without turning downstairs thermostat on. When I had my boiler replaced/installed , the engineer did try to source the valve for upstairs but couldn’t find if there is such a valve anywhere, it’s definitely not near the boiler where the main and conservatory valve is.

can anyone shed some light in this? Is there potentially a hidden valve for upstairs? Or is there a need for some repiping to separate the zones or could it be just an electrician installation that needs changing?

thanks

To be clear non of your heating works until downstairs zone is on?
With a system boiler with 3 heat zones & hot water you would expect 4 zone valves if system correctly installed.

Correct non of the heating works until downstairs is switched on. its like the downstairs nest turns the boiler on, upstairs nest turn the upstairs valve on. Im not trained in anyway but its my way of understanding this setup

How many motorised valves can you see? Picture would be useful
Assuming you have 4 valves its a wiring problem any competent installer/electrician just needs to follow extended 'S' plan wiring diagram.

can we have a pic where your zone valves are?

Thanks very much for the replies, I have taken a few pictures, I think I can see 3 valves, one for the water, conservatory valve (is written on valve) and I believe other is the downstairs valve. I have also taken a few extra pix of the pipe work should that help. I am based in West Yorkshire BD postcode should any local engineers be interested to sort this out for me. Thanks

Attachments

• 9B3C1093-0992-4AFA-A172-66F4AD7EDC30.jpeg
    9B3C1093-0992-4AFA-A172-66F4AD7EDC30.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BA2003ED-8B8F-489E-9CFA-879ACBAAD6B8.jpeg
    BA2003ED-8B8F-489E-9CFA-879ACBAAD6B8.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 21
  • CB61B327-6D00-401A-A722-F98CCA3E4E93.jpeg
    CB61B327-6D00-401A-A722-F98CCA3E4E93.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 20
  • A5FCEEE0-E824-4BD8-9AAF-766B40868C5C.jpeg
    A5FCEEE0-E824-4BD8-9AAF-766B40868C5C.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 20
Looking at that you seem to have no valve for upstairs heating unless its hidden elsewhere?
Competent heating engineer required.

If its hidden where likely could if be? I know thats like asking how long is a piece of string! Will I be able to hear it switch on or open (if there is a valve)
[automerge]1605867188[/automerge]
what are the other possibilities how upstairs heating is controlled ? I know a possibility of a valve somewhere , what are the other possibilities how it is controlled?

Last edited:
In simple terms follow the pipework or cables up to first floor heating.
When you turn ground floor heating on do the bedrooms come on at same time or stay off until you turn controller for bedrooms on?

Ground floor nest only turns on the ground floor not bedrooms, they stay off until I turn on the upstairs controller/nest.

Last edited:
On that basis you must have a another zone valve for bedroom zone
The heating flow should come from boiler and be taken to all 4 zone valves. Sounds like your system has a separate feed to hot water then one feed to a heating zone valve which goes through valve to feed ground floor but also feeds other two zones .
Need to find missing valve move it near boiler re pipe as required

On that basis you must have a another zone valve for bedroom zone
The heating flow should come from boiler and be taken to all 4 zone valves. Sounds like your system has a separate feed to hot water then one feed to a heating zone valve which goes through valve to feed ground floor but also feeds other two zones .
Need to find missing valve move it near boiler re pipe as required
Thanks for the reply, any tips on getting to the source? I have tried to see if I can hear anything , any valve noise opening but nothing.

Where do the grey pipes teed into the pipes the port valves are connected?

3rd pic in your list
Hi Shaun, the grey pipes that go towards the left go into the garage radiator, I have attached more pix if it helps anyone to identify anything that could help me find this mystery valve. Thanks

Attachments

• 0B7BF6C0-6875-4FA0-9E32-8301976428C2.jpeg
    0B7BF6C0-6875-4FA0-9E32-8301976428C2.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 4CF1C369-9376-491A-98B7-90EFB51BD813.jpeg
    4CF1C369-9376-491A-98B7-90EFB51BD813.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14
  • A4555A85-4C22-40B6-A5A7-7F04173F4ADD.jpeg
    A4555A85-4C22-40B6-A5A7-7F04173F4ADD.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
Couldn't the upstairs zone valve just be faulty/stuck open after all you can't seem to hear the valve motor opening?

Did the zoning ever work independently (pre Nest)?

Last edited:
Couldn't the upstairs zone valve just be faulty/stuck open after all you can't seem to hear the valve motor opening?
If thats the case wouldn’t upstairs always stay on? The upstairs nest controls it and the heating goes off and on when needed
[automerge]1605903564[/automerge]
If thats the case wouldn’t upstairs always stay on? The upstairs nest controls it and the heating goes off and on when needed
With the previous thermostat is was still the same setup, had to keep downstairs on in order to turn on/heat upstairs.

I thought I read that upstairs only comes on when downstairs is on? Did the zones ever work independently?

Edit ok answered.

Last edited:
I thought I read that upstairs only comes on when downstairs is on? Did the zones ever work?
I can put downstairs heating fine on its own, but can’t put upstairs heating on its own, i have to have downstairs on in order to heat upstairs, its always been like that when I bought the house. If I turn the thermostat on for upstairs on its own, nothing happens, the boiler doesn’t switch on and no heat in radiators.

Think your issue is in the second picture there. You've got two motorised valves. One before, then a tee afterwards, that comes down and a 15mm pipe leaving before the next motorised valve. Unless of course, someone has put the valve on back to front (Wrong way)

Either way there's some shocking plumbing going on in all the pics 😂

Think your issue is in the second picture there. You've got two motorised valves. One before, then a tee afterwards, that comes down and a 15mm pipe leaving before the next motorised valve. Unless of course, someone has put the valve on back to front (Wrong way)

Either way there's some shocking plumbing going on in all the pics 😂
I can believe it, the previous owner was a builder and he did some shocking things to the electricity which I had to change/made safe and I wontbe surprised he did some unusual changes to the piping heating setup.
[automerge]1605905614[/automerge]
Only other place I haven’t checked for the missing valve is in the garage loft attached next to the house, I can see a pipe going up into it..

I can believe it, the previous owner was a builder and he did some shocking things to the electricity which I had to change/made safe and I wontbe surprised he did some unusual changes to the piping heating setup.
[automerge]1605905614[/automerge]
Only other place I haven’t checked for the missing valve is in the garage loft attached next to the house, I can see a pipe going up into it..

Please do not blaspheme in the house of plumbing.

Edit: I don't think you have a missing zone valve, I just think this was an S plan system that was extended rather poorly.

Please do not blaspheme in the cathedral of plumbing.
Lol I knew him, believe me he did some other shocking things around the property, extending electrical wiring illegally and dangerous, building over a manhole .. list goes on ... so I can believe if he did the piping himself for the heating ..

I don't think you have a missing zone valve, I just think this was an S plan system that was extended rather poorly.
It may have been by this way by design. The whole house was probably once controlled by a single thermostat downstairs and the upstairs zone valve would be shut during the daytime period when it was not required by a simple time switch. This arrangement avoids the need to have a thermostat upstairs and works surprisingly well. In particular, it reduces the short-cycling that tends to occur with relatively small zones calling for heat independently.

It may have been by this way by design. The whole house was probably once controlled by a single thermostat downstairs and the upstairs zone valve would be shut during the daytime period when it was not required by a simple time switch. This arrangement avoids the need to have a thermostat upstairs and works surprisingly well. In particular, it reduces the short-cycling that tends to occur with relatively small zones calling for heat independently.
It may quite possibly be that, my house was built 30 years ago detached house.

So if there is no valve what is switching the upstairs heating on? what controls the heat or water to heat the radiators upstairs?

Fairly sure there is a valve for Bedroom zone otherwise it would work whenever downstairs was on.
Its probably just wired to be turned on and of by stat ie no switch wires connected.

Fairly sure there is a valve for Bedroom zone otherwise it would work whenever downstairs was on.
Its probably just wired to be turned on and of by stat ie no switch wires connected.

With this in mind (valve added at some point to turn off upstairs heating), a switched live from the zone valve was never run to the boiler due to the difficulty.

As it’s likely that the valve is just being controlled by a stat, I wouldn’t be surprised if the stat has independent power (check with multi meter).

If the above is correct, it’s also likely that the zone valve is close to the stat and or a power source.

I’d be looking on the same floor/perhaps room as the stat for a concealed access in the area you suspect the flow and return to be.

With this in mind (valve added at some point to turn off upstairs heating), a switched live from the zone valve was never run to the boiler due to the difficulty.

As it’s likely that the valve is just being controlled by a stat, I wouldn’t be surprised if the stat has independent power (check with multi meter).

If the above is correct, it’s also likely that the zone valve is close to the stat and or a power source.

I’d be looking on the same floor/perhaps room as the stat for a concealed access in the area you suspect the flow and return to be.
Thanks for the reply, the stat is in the utility room next to the the downstairs stat so I am going to see if I can find something somewhere, the utility room is attached to the garage and the garage has a loft and I have yet to check there. I can see pipes going into the garage loft so maybe thats how the pipes go upstairs and the valve could be in the loft, I shall see if I can find anything in there or anywhere near the utility room.

I shall see if I can find anything in there or anywhere near the utility room.
If you have some means of turning the upstairs zone on and off, get someone with good ears to wander around listening for the sound of a motorise valve operating while a helper turns it on and off.

When I moved into my current house it took me about half a day to find a pump. It turned out to be in a section of the roof that the previous owner had borded over with sheets of chipboard leaving no access and no record of what was hidden beneath. It was also a very quiet pump...

If you have some means of turning the upstairs zone on and off, get someone with good ears to wander around listening for the sound of a motorise valve operating while a helper turns it on and off.

When I moved into my current house it took me about half a day to find a pump. It turned out to be in a section of the roof that the previous owner had borded over with sheets of chipboard leaving no access and no record of what was hidden beneath. It was also a very quiet pump...
Well i can control my thermostat on my mobile so easy, I have tried briefly but no luck, plus I guess it needs to be really quiet in the house lol
[automerge]1606000706[/automerge]
Well i can control my thermostat on my mobile so easy, I have tried briefly but no luck, plus I guess it needs to be really quiet in the house lol
Also wouldn’t it be easier to also follow the pipe that is potentially going towards upstairs?

Last edited:
Also wouldn’t it be easier to also follow the pipe that is potentially going towards upstairs?
Yes, but I assume you've already tried that. My 'listen carefully' method is, however, easier than taking up floors and endoscoping cavities...

Yes, but I assume you've already tried that. My 'listen carefully' method is, however, easier than taking up floors and endoscoping cavities...
I am planning to spend some time investigating this today, will try the ‘listen carefully’ method and I hope I am successful, Im I right that the missing valve should be the same as the the valves near the boiler? The noise those make is pretty obvious

Im I right that the missing valve should be the same as the the valves near the boiler?
It may or may not be identical (how would I know?) but it'll probably sound somewhat similar, i.e. a small motor running for a short period and maybe a clunk at the start and/or end of the travel. If it's a pump rather than a valve it'll running continuously while the zone is active and stop when it's not.

Reply to Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock