• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Where do the grey pipes teed into the pipes the port valves are connected?

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
gmartine

gmartine

Gas Engineer
Couldn't the upstairs zone valve just be faulty/stuck open after all you can't seem to hear the valve motor opening?

Did the zoning ever work independently (pre Nest)?

Last edited:
OP
Husk24

Husk24

Couldn't the upstairs zone valve just be faulty/stuck open after all you can't seem to hear the valve motor opening?
If thats the case wouldn’t upstairs always stay on? The upstairs nest controls it and the heating goes off and on when needed
Post automatically merged:

If thats the case wouldn’t upstairs always stay on? The upstairs nest controls it and the heating goes off and on when needed
With the previous thermostat is was still the same setup, had to keep downstairs on in order to turn on/heat upstairs.

gmartine

gmartine

Gas Engineer
I thought I read that upstairs only comes on when downstairs is on? Did the zones ever work independently?

Edit ok answered.

Last edited:
OP
Husk24

Husk24

I thought I read that upstairs only comes on when downstairs is on? Did the zones ever work?
I can put downstairs heating fine on its own, but can’t put upstairs heating on its own, i have to have downstairs on in order to heat upstairs, its always been like that when I bought the house. If I turn the thermostat on for upstairs on its own, nothing happens, the boiler doesn’t switch on and no heat in radiators.

EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop

Gas Engineer
Think your issue is in the second picture there. You've got two motorised valves. One before, then a tee afterwards, that comes down and a 15mm pipe leaving before the next motorised valve. Unless of course, someone has put the valve on back to front (Wrong way)

Either way there's some shocking plumbing going on in all the pics 😂

gmartine

gmartine

Gas Engineer
If the zoning was faulty pre nest then you need to get someone in to rewire/plumb.

OP
Husk24

Husk24

Think your issue is in the second picture there. You've got two motorised valves. One before, then a tee afterwards, that comes down and a 15mm pipe leaving before the next motorised valve. Unless of course, someone has put the valve on back to front (Wrong way)

Either way there's some shocking plumbing going on in all the pics 😂
I can believe it, the previous owner was a builder and he did some shocking things to the electricity which I had to change/made safe and I wontbe surprised he did some unusual changes to the piping heating setup.

Only other place I haven’t checked for the missing valve is in the garage loft attached next to the house, I can see a pipe going up into it..

gmartine

gmartine

Gas Engineer
I can believe it, the previous owner was a builder and he did some shocking things to the electricity which I had to change/made safe and I wontbe surprised he did some unusual changes to the piping heating setup.

Only other place I haven’t checked for the missing valve is in the garage loft attached next to the house, I can see a pipe going up into it..
Please do not blaspheme in the house of plumbing.

Edit: I don't think you have a missing zone valve, I just think this was an S plan system that was extended rather poorly.

Reply to Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads