• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Husk24

Husk24

Hi All

I have a question regarding my heating setup, I moved in 5 years ago and since replaced boiler and added 3 nest controls. I have a system boiler with water cylinder and have three nest thermostats, one controls and turns on the boiler for downstairs apart from the conservatory where I have another nest , that only works when the downstairs heating is on and I can see a valve for that near the boiler.

my issue is upstairs, I can only heat upstairs with downstairs being on, I have to have downstairs turned on , if I operate the upstairs nest thermosta it doesn’t switch the boiler on without turning downstairs thermostat on. When I had my boiler replaced/installed , the engineer did try to source the valve for upstairs but couldn’t find if there is such a valve anywhere, it’s definitely not near the boiler where the main and conservatory valve is.

can anyone shed some light in this? Is there potentially a hidden valve for upstairs? Or is there a need for some repiping to separate the zones or could it be just an electrician installation that needs changing?

thanks

E

exedon2

To be clear non of your heating works until downstairs zone is on?
With a system boiler with 3 heat zones & hot water you would expect 4 zone valves if system correctly installed.

OP
Husk24

Husk24

Correct non of the heating works until downstairs is switched on. its like the downstairs nest turns the boiler on, upstairs nest turn the upstairs valve on. Im not trained in anyway but its my way of understanding this setup

E

exedon2

How many motorised valves can you see? Picture would be useful
Assuming you have 4 valves its a wiring problem any competent installer/electrician just needs to follow extended 'S' plan wiring diagram.

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
can we have a pic where your zone valves are?

OP
Husk24

Husk24

Thanks very much for the replies, I have taken a few pictures, I think I can see 3 valves, one for the water, conservatory valve (is written on valve) and I believe other is the downstairs valve. I have also taken a few extra pix of the pipe work should that help. I am based in West Yorkshire BD postcode should any local engineers be interested to sort this out for me. Thanks

Attachments

E

exedon2

Looking at that you seem to have no valve for upstairs heating unless its hidden elsewhere?
Competent heating engineer required.

OP
Husk24

Husk24

If its hidden where likely could if be? I know thats like asking how long is a piece of string! Will I be able to hear it switch on or open (if there is a valve)
Post automatically merged:

what are the other possibilities how upstairs heating is controlled ? I know a possibility of a valve somewhere , what are the other possibilities how it is controlled?

Last edited:
E

exedon2

In simple terms follow the pipework or cables up to first floor heating.
When you turn ground floor heating on do the bedrooms come on at same time or stay off until you turn controller for bedrooms on?

OP
Husk24

Husk24

Ground floor nest only turns on the ground floor not bedrooms, they stay off until I turn on the upstairs controller/nest.

Last edited:
E

exedon2

On that basis you must have a another zone valve for bedroom zone
The heating flow should come from boiler and be taken to all 4 zone valves. Sounds like your system has a separate feed to hot water then one feed to a heating zone valve which goes through valve to feed ground floor but also feeds other two zones .
Need to find missing valve move it near boiler re pipe as required

OP
Husk24

Husk24

On that basis you must have a another zone valve for bedroom zone
The heating flow should come from boiler and be taken to all 4 zone valves. Sounds like your system has a separate feed to hot water then one feed to a heating zone valve which goes through valve to feed ground floor but also feeds other two zones .
Need to find missing valve move it near boiler re pipe as required
Thanks for the reply, any tips on getting to the source? I have tried to see if I can hear anything , any valve noise opening but nothing.

Reply to Why does downstairs heating has to be on for upstairs to work? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads