Search the forum,

Discuss Why cold tap handle can still be turned even though valve is closed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I recently replaced the compression type valves on my bathroom basin as the cold one was leaking and also when you tried to turn it on the handle would do almost a complete turn before the valve would open and water came out. Thought this was a knackered circlip and seemed to be so when extracted.

Having now fitted the new valve on the cold tap, no more leak but I still find when turning the handle on, the handle rotates quite a bit before water comes out and when turning off the water stops but the handle can keep turning maybe a turn until its tight. The hot tap, is a lot more responsive, when turning off, as soon as there is resistance from the handle the water stops.

Are there any adjustments you can make to change this "play" in the handle? It looks like the circlip doesn't act immediately and is raised so I can screw down a bit before it is compressed from above and below.

Thanks!

No you can't change and tbh it's normally half a turn ish before water comes out

If you want less play convert / change the taps to 1/4 turn valves

Bristan Tap Valves x 2 Pack
Was it like this the valve you replaced?
There is no method of adjustment to reduce the freeplay, guess you could remove the valve then attach the handle and see if you can see where the freeplay is but tbh it is all a bit weird with a new valve.

1. Is the washer firmly attached to the jumper inside the valve. If there is play, then that could give the symptoms you are describing.
2. Check the valve seat inside the body of the tap. Could be worn / damaged.

Bristan Tap Valves x 2 Pack
Was it like this the valve you replaced?
There is no method of adjustment to reduce the freeplay, guess you could remove the valve then attach the handle and see if you can see where the freeplay is but tbh it is all a bit weird with a new valve.

They're similar to those but not ceramic type which I think are what 1/4 turns always are. Mine aren't quarter turn taps and the valves have washers to seal.

1. Is the washer firmly attached to the jumper inside the valve. If there is play, then that could give the symptoms you are describing.
2. Check the valve seat inside the body of the tap. Could be worn / damaged.
From what I remember the washer was tight to the shaft. I'm wondering if it is a worn seat as the hot tap does not have the same issue and the old cold valve was a similar issue so points to that tap specifically. I don't fully understand how a warn seat results in this symptom though. Must be to do with how far you have to screw the bottom washer down/up onto the the seat..

If I was really bothered I could swap the hot/cold valves over and see if the issue moves to the hot tap then I know it's the valve and not the seat of the tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why cold tap handle can still be turned even though valve is closed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock