Search the forum,

Discuss Why 2 cylinders in my loft? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Solutions
This is a picture of the heating setup in our loft. It's all relatively new and I was wondering why we have two enormous cylinders?
One is for hot water, I get that but the system is a mains fed pressurised system so what is the second one for please? There are also two smaller tanks which I recognise as expansion vessels

Screenshot 2022-06-13 173954.png

Left is your hot water cylinder
Right is an accumulator helps when you open multi taps / outlets so there’s not a drop in flow

Solution
Thanks Shaun. We want to have a 3rd bedroom up in the loft and met an architect a few weeks ago. As this is an in the centre of the loft, he's said we should move it to the edge to allow us to create a bedroom big enough for a double bed.

I contacted the company that installed this setup and as it includes moving the boiler, 2 tanks and the pressure vessels, they're quoting 5 days and 5k.

After I got off the floor, I'm asking myself if it would be cheaper to get a brand new system!

What do people think?

Could they not be left where they are and be built into a cupboard with the bedroom around them?

Don’t forget that little lot will probably weigh 600kg between them and need supporting properly , depending on your new location that could’ve a lot of work.

In my own house I have the cylinder in a less convenient position so that it is directly over a supporting wall.

Ask the architect what they would do if that area were occupied by a large brick chimney that was in use and could not be moved.

My experience is often that architects love spending your money to fit in with their ideas, rather than think outside the box…

Hi Ben,
It would be good but the current location is bang in the middle so I don't think we can. The proposal with a gable will make it much more of a usable room.
Here is the current idea and the green rectangle is where the "boiler room" setup is all located.
I am going to ask for a smaller en-suite as we prefer more storage/room space and that will allow the proposed position of the new setup to be bigger.
Just a thought, do we need such a massive accumulator for a 3 bed when most of the time it is just 2 of us?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-24 085157.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-24 085157.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Why 2 cylinders in my loft? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock