Search the forum,

Discuss Whole House Pump? Is it suitable for my needs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray-Bentos

Hello

I am looking to install a pump to a system that has 2 mixer showers in rooms at opposite ends of the house. Hot water pressure to these showers is currently low and thus requires boosting with a pump.

I have looked into the possibility of fitting a dedicated shower pump and piping the two showers separately to this although due to the locations of the showers in relation to the airing cupboard it would be a difficult install.

With this in mind would fitting a 'whole house pump' be an easier option? If located in the airing cupboard I assume I would simply need to re-route the existing cold water tank feed to the showers and divert it via the pump then back into the existing pipework rather than having to effectively run two entirely new sets of pipework across the house to the showers? Is this correct? In this instance where would I place the pump on the hot circuit? Can I simply place the pump 'into' the current hot water pipework adjacent to the cylinder? Where do I place the feed in relation to the vent pipe - what is the 45 degree angle instruction with regard to the vent pipe I see on some sites regarding whole house shower pumps? I am led to believe I need a dedicated flange although if it is a whole house pump what happens to the 'old' flange/outlet as surely everything now runs via the pump and nothing will be fed directly from the tank?

Please help as I am having some trouble deciding what is the best course of action?

Is there any particular reason you would not fit a house pump?
The choice of pump itself is not the part I am struggling with it is having to run 2 sets of dedicated pipework to the showers which are both in bathrooms which have been newly tiled.
I think that fitting a house pump would be much easier but need to know if there are any particular negative points to this approach?

There is nothing wrong with a whole house pump but best practice prefers the method already suggested.

just fit a pump capable of handling two showers. yes you need a surrey flange to connect to the hw cylinder and when you draw hot (to feed cylinder) and cold you
will need a dedicated outlet, probably double the tank size youve already got because of the hot and cold demand..

Personaly I would pump showers and bath filling only (bath filling for speed of fill). Remember all pump make noise even if manufacturers claim they are WHISPER QUIET. Dead of night, somone gets up has a wee and washes there hands and away the pump goes Grrrrrrrrrr! the noise aspect will depend on accoustics of house build, how well fitted, temp of hot water, where bedrooms are in relation to pump, quality of pump etc.

Once pump select check manufacturers instructions. Some say Surrey flanges, some say Essex flanges but there are many other flanges that the pump manufacturere may recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whole House Pump? Is it suitable for my needs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock