Search the forum,

Discuss Who is liable for further damage to boiler repair….. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, a plumber came today to fit a faulty component in my boiler as we have no hot water. In trying to remove the faulty component which was seized up, he damaged two other components which now also need replacing. He went away and will telephone me with quotes for the other two parts that I now need. Can you please tell me who is liable for these other parts? It seems unfair to me that I should now have to pay for further parts and work. Advice greatly appreciated.

Hi, unfortunately this can be the case with many boiler repairs, especially when a few years old. Maybe he should have forewarned you, but I suspect you would have still gone ahead anyway if the boiler wasn’t working. I wouldn’t expect the engineer to pay for the extra work. Hope this helps.

Hi, unfortunately this can be the case with many boiler repairs, especially when a few years old. Maybe he should have forewarned you, but I suspect you would have still gone ahead anyway if the boiler wasn’t working. I wouldn’t expect the engineer to pay for the extra work. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your replies, appreciated. The boiler is old, but has been serviced every year, just recently two months ago in November. The plumber today first fitted one component, the flu I think, and then could not remove the other faulty component, and damaged a further two components, so it would seem expedient to opt for a new boiler. But then as the plumber has already fitted one new component in this boiler before he had problems trying to remove the second one, would that mean I also have to pay for the part already fitted, only for it to be disposed of if I have a new boiler? It seems I’m losing out all around in this case.

Old boilers are like old cars, you can nurse them along/look after them for so long but there comes a point when work is being carried out that the mechanic/engineer will have seized/locked components and other components will be damaged during rectification or fail soon afterwards due to the differing forces/pressures that will be introduced.
As above if i ended up with the customer biting the bullet and going for a new boiler installation then i would not charge for the original repair parts unless very expensive and even then i would try and absorb some of the cost to help out.
If you end up with a new boiler then longer term if its installed with correct controls you will benefit with cheaper utility bills and better performance in general,
Hope this helps,
Andy

The usual terms for this sort of repair are essentially an estimate based on the initial symptoms / diagnosis with additional charges, subject to customer's approval, for extra parts/work that are found in the process. It's not uncommon to write off (give a discount for) the extra labour but very few can afford to provide free parts.

For future reference, many boiler manufacturers offer 'fixed price' repairs that are what you seem to be expecting from your plumber. If your boiler is too old to qualify for this scheme then it's probably time to get it replaced.

Thanks all very much for your replies, it’s helped to give some perspective and useful guidance. I’m thinking now that a new boiler is the way to go.

If he worked for an official company, you can contact them and tell them about your situation, and I'm sure they will have to deal with him.

Reply to Who is liable for further damage to boiler repair….. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock