Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling/wheezing/screeching pipe noises when tap turned on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bourlet

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]We have an intermittent issue with a noisy pipe in our kitchen/bathroom- when the tap is turned on there is a loud continuous squeaking/whistling/wheezing noise. When the tap is on, the noise seems to be coming from a pipe (connecting to the toilet I think) in the bathroom directly nextdoor to the kitchen. However the sound can be heard very audibly from the kitchen even with kitchen and bathroom door shut. There doesn't seem to be any difference whether it's hot or cold water, although sometimes the pressure of the water appears to be affected. Also worth mentioning- on a couple of occasions, we have heard the noise (verrrryy loudly) without the tap even being on..[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]As mentioned, it is intermittent so quite difficult to pin point. We have had a plumber and our building management over to have a look however on both occasions, the noise didn't happen (typically!) I did however take a video of it on my phone to show them (fearing that it wouldn't happen when they visited) but they still couldn't diagnose the problem. I've searched other forums and googled the problem to try and get to the bottom of it, 'water hammer' crops up alot but from the description of that i don't think that's what this is. If anyone has any suggestions as to what this problem could be, please please enlighten me! Thanks alot.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

It's possibly water hammer but typically, unless the noise happens when your plumber is present it can be difficult to guess the problem.

could be stuck washer on valve or check if isolation valves are fully open but as already said, it never happens when plumber around so hard to tell :D

Could be the mains stopcock jumper washer rattling around. this can happen when any outlet off the mains opens up ie toilet not just taps.Also it can sound like the QE2 sounding its horn all over the house..Worth a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whistling/wheezing/screeching pipe noises when tap turned on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is switched on before it stops. There is a sink nearby, sometimes if we switch that on slowly before turning on the shower then the shower doesn't make a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm dealing with Vaillant Ecotec 824 R1 in one flat. The boiler make a very loud noise when central heating is on - this is random and occurs mostly at night. I'm sharing video showing the problem: So far we changed: 1. Expansion vessel 2. Pump 3. Water pressure gauge - analogue sensor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock