Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling noises in early hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeacthm

Hi. Over the past two weeks we have been woken in the middle of the night 4-6am with a strange noise I can only describe as whistling and it is coming in the direction of the boiler, we have tried turning the hot water off (set to come on 5:20 to 6:20 so the noise starts before it actually comes on) and it seemed to stop (wasn't sure if it was because we spoke to the neighbour) but then last night (2 am) it started again but stopped when hubby flushed the loo (could be coincidence). Please help its driving me mad as it wakes me up:willy_nilly:

p.s neighbour had new condenser boiler about a year ago. We have a normal boiler with tank Gloworm which we have had about 12 years, we are covered but it is a £50 excess.

Thank you in advance Jea. X

Hi Jea,

when you say the boiler do you mean the cylinder in the airing cupboard? Or your glowworm gas boiler?

My daughter's toilet cistern has started to whistle when it is full. The syphon system is about 18 months old and is rather a fancy one the shuts off with a thump after flushing. I put the whistle down to water pressure on the inlet valve which is fed at mains pressure, not from a cold water tank. If my daughter finds the whistle gets too much I may try replacing the valve washer to see if this cures the problem.

They are both in the airing cupboard. Next the each other then the feeder tank is in the attic.

Possibly a ball valve in loft , have you got high water pressure ? if so may be a idea to fit a pressure reducing valve

If it's driving you that mad then pay your 50 excess and claim through your cover.

have you got any lever type taps in the house , Ive had jobs where the taps are passing under the higher presure at night as soon as toilet flushed or taps used it goes away complete git to find out to start with .

No its not a poltergeist Koo ITS MY MRS ! she simmers just like a well controlled steam engine all night - but just after 4am erups into a cacophany of snoring -until 6am - this is obviously the problem centralheatking
I think you have a POLTERGEIST! Call the exorist!!!!

water pressure varies in the early hours when demand is difficult for
utilities to manage- jts might be correct -pressure reducing valves
are quite cheap and easy to install - we use Honeywell - branded only centralheatking
Possibly a ball valve in loft , have you got high water pressure ? if so may be a idea to fit a pressure reducing valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whistling noises in early hours in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock