Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling noises from pipes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey everyone! The pipes in my house have recently started whistling. However, when I turn on the cold water tap at speed it will stop and if I leave the tap on for a few minutes then the sound will stop for 5-10 minutes after I’ve switched it off. It’s not coming from any particular faucet and there is no sounds coming from my bathroom. The sound is mainly in the kitchen and also near my boiler upstairs. I only have electric in the house. I apologise as I don’t know any technical terms and also am a tenant. I also can’t seem to locate the stopcock. I have included a picture of under my sink but I’m not sure if it is because I think that the pressure may be too high as my mixer tap in my kitchen suggests. Could someone please confirm if this is the stopcock. Other than that I have two red round circular knobs which I’m not sure what they are. All you advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

F0168DA2-A310-4BE8-9E84-66D5AE32D754.jpeg

DBEE0B67-698A-4EBA-B8D7-0D4D48D8ECB2.jpeg

Good evening Hena, and welcome to ukpf. That does look like the stopcock, although there’s no head on it to turn. At a guess you may have 1/4 turn taps, which if a cartridge/insert fails can cause this noise. Also could be a float valve failing.

What type of system do you have? Combi Boiler? tank and cylinder?

Good evening Hena, and welcome to ukpf. That does look like the stopcock, although there’s no head on it to turn. At a guess you may have 1/4 turn taps, which if a cartridge/insert fails can cause this noise. Also could be a float valve failing.

Thank you for your quick reply!
I have a tank. Near the tank there are two red knobs but one one the right doesn’t budge and the one on the left is fully turned clockwise and then turned back a 1/4. I have a kitchen sink and also a bathroom basin and bath tub taps. Could it be anyone of them? Also, can I still turn this stopcock. If so what should I do? Thank you!

Thank you for your quick reply!
I have a tank. Near the tank there are two red knobs but one one the right doesn’t budge and the one on the left is fully turned clockwise and then turned back a 1/4. I have a kitchen sink and also a bathroom basin and bath tub taps. Could it be anyone of them? Also, can I still turn this stopcock. If so what should I do? Thank you!

It could be any of them yes. Do they whistle all the time, or do you find it’s more when or after hot water is drawn off? The stopcock can be turned by using an adjustable spanner, a pipe wrench or similar, but may prove difficult and if you do it and then can’t open it, you’ll have no water.

Can I ask why your landlord isn’t dealing with it?

It could be any of them yes. Do they whistle all the time, or do you find it’s more when or after hot water is drawn off? The stopcock can be turned by using an adjustable spanner, a pipe wrench or similar, but may prove difficult and if you do it and then can’t open it, you’ll have no water.

Can I ask why your landlord isn’t dealing with it?
So it is currently whistling and the tone changes throughout and will continue to do so until I open the cold water tap at full force for a few minutes or the cold water in the bath. However, with the when I open the kitchen tap and close it it squeal for that second. My landlord doesn’t care for us. She knows we’ve had to spend winters without heating and generally doesn’t care. I know I should complain and have attempted to do so but felt bullied and threatened especially when I told her I talked to the council. We didn’t have the money for a deposit on a new property but will do by the end of the year so I will be out early next year! She doesn’t care about the state of the property and isn’t willing to spend at all! I’d rather attempt to sort it myself then cause myself severe anxiety and stress.

Thank you for the reply, however please answer the following questions so I can help diagnose the fault.
  • Does this whistling happen all day and night, or is it specific?
  • Does it happen more with the hot water being drawn off?
  • Does it do it after flushing the toilet?
  • Does it happen whilst another tap is being used?
Thanks

It’s whistling day and night. It doesn’t happen more when hot water is drawn off. When I run the cold water tap it stops temporarily. It continues after flushing. It is constant and only stops when kitchen cold water tap is or if the shower is on in the bath. Thank you for persevering with me!

Thank you for persevering with me!
- not a problem,it’s what we’re here for.

So a couple of other things: you said you’re on electric,are the immersion’s on all the time? Is a toilet overflowing slightly into the pan and refilling? Have a look in a toilet pan and see if anything trickling.

I’m not sure how to check the immersions. I’m guessing that’s why the two red knobs are upstairs. The red knobs on the left is fully turned anti clockwise and then turned clockwise by a quarter turn and the right one doesn’t shift. Nothing trickling into the water pan.

I would guess that the ballcock in the cold water storage tank needs replacing, try this first as they are inexpensive.

To see if this is the case, go into the loft and lift the arm on the ballcock that is in the large CWS tank, does the whistling stop?

Could be one of the 2 red knobs (known as gate valves), if one is stuck, or as you say one is closed fully clockwise and back 1/4, could be restricting water to cylinder filling up?

Yeah most likely stuck open, high pitched whistling usually indicates high pressure ie mains not tank fed issues.

Thanks guys! I’m out right now but I’ll post some pictures tonight of the tank in the bedroom. For the first time tonight we had a quiet night but when we opened the hot water first thing on its own. The whistling started again! Glad I’m away from that noise now!

Thanks guys! I’m out right now but I’ll post some pictures tonight of the tank in the bedroom. For the first time tonight we had a quiet night but when we opened the hot water first thing on its own. The whistling started again! Glad I’m away from that noise now!

It does sound like it could be the float operated valve/ballvalve in the loft if it happened when you drew hot water off

Just got back from the hospital after a long week! I’ll post the pictures of the boiler and also check the ball float in the loft!

Much better. Daughter had a severe chest infection! I’m sorry I haven’t got back with the pictures of the boiler and the two red knobs!

Don’t worry about it, I’m sure you have enough to deal with. Whenever you’re ready.

My advice employ a plumber to carry out some maintenance on those valves they need to be working in case of emergencies and give your plumbing pipework a check also . Kop

Reply to Whistling noises from pipes. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock