Search the forum,

Discuss Whistling flue.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop

Evening

will try and keep the post as short as poss, hopefully attached photos properly. Tenant has complained of high pitched noise for 12 years. Previous boiler flue at front pitch of house roof, new boiler installed same flue site, then moved to rear of roof. Scaffold was going to be taken down shortly, so minimal rime on roof.

Vaillant ecotec 615 plus boiler, I believe that the design of the flue, see photos causes this problem, it doesn't help that it's in line with the roof ridge line and can be in a positive pressure zone and depending where the wind blows/speed creates the sound of blowing over a glass milk bottle. This is the analogy I used when asking the tenant what does it sound like, she was unable to record it on her phone, she has even got the local mp involved. There are no other vertical flues in the line of houses and somebody has already taped up gc1 terminal (no longer in use). I don't think it would be this as the design of this terminal has louvres in it, where as the vaillant is perfectly flat. Excuse post it's Friday I'm on the beers and if more interest will go deeper but was only on site 15 mins. Many, many guys/girls have attended this before me so have not done any other checks but no one has ever thought of this, am I whistling out of my butt cheeks for thinking this....?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 48
Probably do same on scaffy tubes ? Is it windy? Change flue?

No whistling when I was up there, I will ask my manager for feedback as unfortunately as a subby on a large firm we don't really get the opportunity to follow cases as whoever is in the area at time will attend. We do use PDA but they only give very limited history. That was was my opinion at the time, just wanted to know if anyone has come across this

Got a bird whistling on the roof.

would never rule that out, one of those that you have to be there, tenant says been happening for years and she is only one in immediate area with vertical flue

Your process driven then, no flexibility, so nothing gets done.

Probably do same on scaffy tubes ? Is it windy? Change flue?
Good idea but gave it more thought and scaf tubes are different thickness and diameter than flue, plus so many up there it would create a lot of turbulence and stop the wind blowing straight across the open end of the terminal.

If the noise has remained with 2 different boilers with 2 different flues and the last boiler flue in a different position then it can't be the boiler / flue.

Someone was close taping up the terminal, what about the other one?
I assume as they are so low they are just for old chimney ventillation?

Has anyone else heard the noise apart from the Tennant?

does it doe it when boiler is on or off . seen lots of glowworms and vaillants squeel do to gas setting but from I read its doing it when boiler is off.

It's probably her hearing aid whistling! If you haven't heard it and no one else has. Wn't be boiler if it's been changed. Try removing tape from gc1.

If the noise has remained with 2 different boilers with 2 different flues and the last boiler flue in a different position then it can't be the boiler / flue.

Someone was close taping up the terminal, what about the other one?
I assume as they are so low they are just for old chimney ventillation?

Has anyone else heard the noise apart from the Tennant?

yes, tenant said the local mp was present when noise occurred, no other vertical flues in street, high winds quite a lot of open ground

It's probably her hearing aid whistling! If you haven't heard it and no one else has. Wn't be boiler if it's been changed. Try removing tape from gc1.
Previous guy put tape round old terminal, sound still occurs with tape on and off. Unfortunately I won't be able to follow this up, just put it out there to see if more experienced guys/girls have come across this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whistling flue.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock